The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More pics of a torn apart altima - useful for aftermarket radio install

As I was bored today I decided to continue the excellent work done by 2002Altima and do some tearing apart of my own. I was interested in how easy it would be to install an aftermarket stereo system.

For those that don't know yet American International has released a dash kit for the 2002 Altima you can see it here.

Anyway for those that are interested you can see the pics here. Sorry there isn't much commentary as to what is going on, but I think most people will get the idea.

Oh and for those that want to know the non-bose tweeter is a 1" tweeter and you have about 1" of depth to play with. And the non-bose mid range is about 6.5" and about 2.5" deep, but there is about an extra 4.5" of depth in the door panel.

Oh and if you look at the back of the head unit you will see there is an 8 pin DIN that wasn't connected to anything. Perhaps this is a connection for a CD changer?

Finally if any of this information is found to be innaccurate or misleading later, don't blame me!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Awesome tear-down! I should have pulled out my stereo to see if the 6 disk changer has the 8 pin DIN on the back.

I want to say that someone said the head unit was made by poineer, so perhaps that their changer would work.

However... are there any controls or buttons or anything that would allow you to change the CDs in the changer from the factory head unit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
8 pin DIN

Am I right in thinking the head unit is basically the same for the Bose and non-Bose systems (apart from a few additional controls)? If so then this could possibly be pre-out connections used to feed the speaker amps in the Bose system (and not a CD changer connection, as I originally thought). Anyone with a Bose install want to take their car apart and see if this DIN is there and if it is connected to anything? It only takes 5 screws, 1 for the center dash trim, and four holding the head unit in? :)

As far as CD changer controls (if it is for a CD changer) it could use the FM preset buttons to select a disc when in CD mode. So it still could possibly be a connector for a CD changer. Unfortunately it wasn't labelled :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did we all forget the previous generation Altimas and the SAME CONNECTOR on the back of the head unit????? I installed the 6 disk changer to the same connector on the back of the head unit and it operates through a secondary connector that the original two plugs in the car plug into the piggyback harness...This unit looks all the world like the Clarion unit in the back as my older units...

The indash changer unit uses the controls on the head unit.....If you press the play button on the changer, the system plays from whichever cd is selected.....You don't need changer controls on the head unit...

·
Banned
6,858 Posts
Nice Pics!

Mistral , those were some great pics!
I was thinking about putting in a better head unit but I was worried about how the unit would look after it was installed. Do you have any pics of the finished product? The A.I. kit looks like it would blend with the interior very nicely.
Does A.I. sell the kit to any shmoe like me or do you have to have a stereo shop order it?

I'm still a newbie to this group but this has got to be the friendliest, most helpfull group I've run into in a long time! :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I didn't have the heart to ask my Mom if I could disassemble her car yet...She has a 2.5 S non-bose player and I have a 3.5 SE with the Bose unit...But anyway is the adapter a single or double din opening? Could you take a pic of the non-bose unit sideways... ..I am thinking of a single din Blaupunkt unit or Clarion unit...Especially if the original unit is Clarion, the steering wheel remote controls will still control the new unit I bet... This is sounding better all the time... Here is the link to the pics of the 98 Nissan radio back and the in-dash changer with the piggyback harness..... http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ranger7ltr_99/lst?.dir=/98+Nissan+radio&.src=bc&.last=1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Info about AI kit

I ordered mine directly from AI, I also got them to send me the wiring harness adapter at the same time. The opening is a single DIN, the actual factory fitted head unit looks like it is only a 1.5 DIN. So I don't think you will be able to do any double DIN aftermarket installs.

This time around was just to find out how much space we've got for upgrading the factory system, as you can see there is plenty of space. Over the next few months I will post pics as I do the install (it is going to take a while due to financial constraints) either here or in the audio section of this board. Eventually I hope to end up with a DVD-Audio system (those in the know can guess what head unit I am going to use), with DTS and Dolby Digital decoding, a proper center channel (I knew that cubby hole under the AC controls could be put to better use), and a couple of 12" subs in the trunk. :) I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rear speaker cover

Mistral, thanks for d pics..Very helpful..

I will be waiting for you to remove the Rear cover to replace the rear speakers. Im having a hard time figuring it out. Hope u can show it in detail.

Thanks

·
3,292 Posts
2002Altima said:
Hey Mistral

I tore into my car's dash to find out what is behind the Bose system. It too has the 8 pin DIN jack. Check out what all I found at this link.
http://fluxu8.nismo.org/images/carapart/photo2.html

Monthly Bandwidth Exceeded
The site you are looking for, fluxu8.nismo.org has exceeded its monthly bandwidth limit and has been disabled until the end of the month. On 02/01/2002, this site will again be available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2002Altima you da man :) Now all we need is someone to go out and buy a cd changer and try it out.

If I get time I will try to get to the rear speakers next weekend, I'll post pictures here when I do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
links bad

None of these links work. Apparently, we've used up all his site bandwidth and the host provider shut it down.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.