The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hit my local Car Wash/Quik-E-Lube spot in NY, they offered to power flush my motor & tranny system with a machine that would push/pull cleaning agents & fluid through them, and remove a larger number of deposits, sludge & metal bits than traditional drain & fill.

Question, has anyone tried these systems, and are they safer or more efficent than say, dropping the pans & cleaning out by hand & resealing them in place???...Curious, because it SOUNDS like a good idea, so i am a little wary to be a guiena pig...lol

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
i have never tried these products, and probably never will.

i agree that a lot of sludge builds up in your engine, but hey if its working fine dont fark with it.

when u tear down an engine, sludge from oxidized oil builds on the heads were there are pits or any other casting that allows for it to build up and pool there.. the only way you are gunna get that out is by tearing down the engine and physically cleaning it real good !

now i wouldnt recommend chemical cleaners for the engine, because if they really did dislodge and clean it out, it would send bits of teh sludge crap everywhere in teh engine where u REALLY dont want it going.. whereas its quite thick and not doing any harm pooled up in those fairly innocuous places.

the best way to have a "clean" enigine is to not allow it to build up in teh first place? how do you do this magical task you ask? regular oil changes depending on your particular use of teh car and environment ... simple ! no gimmicks..

regular motor oil has all teh detergents you need.. ideally if you really cared that much you would change the oil based on color. i can guarantee you wont build up sludge if you did that from new.. might get kinda expensive tho.. lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your car has been taken reasonable well care of, you don't need it. Modern motor oils, changed at proper intervals, will keep a car in good running shape pretty clean.

For some applications flushing is a good idea...say your auto tranny died, and lots of metal shavings are present, and before they install new tranny it's a very good idea to have the automatic transmission cooler in bottom of radiator flushed out. But that can and should be done independently of the transmission.

There are machines that attempt to run solvents/detergents thru old dirty engines, but I would be very leary of such things except under the most extreme of circumstances....and if the engine is that bad off..............Making seal leaks would be another concern.

Also, these magic flushes you just pour in to replace a quart of oil, run for a while, and drain out are even more dubious IMO. Gunk motor flush would be and example. Oh you may break buildup and sludge loose, but guess where it's going? Straight in your oil pan to quite possibly block the pickup tube! I have heard of happening too many times. You want a clean engine in that case, rebuild or replace it.

Modern motor oils are quite good at keeping an engine clean inside. That's why an oil turns dark. That's sometimes mistaken as a bad sign. Actually that's stuff that's not be deposited in your engine and is being suspended in the engine oil.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Well the answer lies in the full name of those products-See, they're actually called 'Flush Your Motor Down the Toilet', or, 'Motor Flush' for short.....

:)

Jeremy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cleaning

If you are really interested in cleaning the miscellaneous garbage that may be in your engine, especially if you've left dino oil in too long, you may want to consider Auto-Rx. It is highly recommended from the website: bobistheoilguy.com, and is not an acid flush. As for oil changes, go with full synthetic. Dino oil gets nasty pretty fast. You can find out by having an oil analysis done, and you would probably be surprised at the results.

A couple of years ago, I used this on a Honda that had 140,000 miles on it and a lot of varnish on the top end. The engine's internals looked like brand new when it was done. Of course, the body was ready to fall apart, but that's another story. A word of warning though: if you have any mechanical issues, such as a blown seal (versus just a leaking one), you'll find out really fast.

Mike

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
When you change your oil, just make sure it is black. If not, you have buildup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've never used Auto-RX myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. To add an extra note about Auto-RX, I suggest checking out http://www.rms13.com for lots of info on one person's experiences.

As I recall he was (and perhaps still is) a very large skeptic about Auto-RX. There is a large gallery of photos and more importantly, compression numbers, on what was a clearly neglected KA24DE in a 240SX.

The benifit of Auto-RX seems to be slow gentle cleaning, combined with a reconditioning of old seals, assuming the directions are properly followed. I've only got 50k on my Altima, but I'll probably give it a try some time soon just to have the peace of mind knowing my engine is clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts