The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran the tank to empty and added 5.777 gallons. when the light came on, i had gone 222 miles. that comes out to (you ready POE?) 38.4 MPG. not bad at all. thats a solid gain of 10 MPG. Great timing i think, especially cuz of these shitty gas prices.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, vic, youre right, im gonna lie about it. :rolleyes: stock wheels, new engine, 5 speed and a light foot until the first 2500 miles. you guys wanted details of how the new engine is; im just giving them.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
that’s not the way you calculate MPG you go to a pump, and fuel until it clicks then reset your trip odometer then after you have an empty tank go to the same gas station at the same pump, fuel until it clicks, then divided the miles by the amount of gallons you just put in, I got 20.8mpg all city heavy foot.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here we go again... what matters is that you know the amount that you just put in the tank. simple math from there. there is no difference whether i use 13 gallons or 5.777. wherever you been hiding altima-skyline, go find that place again... ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I usually get about 270 on a full tank of gas before i have to refill and thats when the light turns on ..............Heavy foot both city and Highway

·
4,020 Posts
You ran your car to empty and you could only put in 5.777 gallons? That's not normal. I think your gauge might be messed up.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, lewis... i ran it to empty from where it was at after the engine install... probably about an 1/8 of a tank. with gas prices the way they are, the amount of money i paid, netted me 5.777 gallons. jeez, lol

·
4,020 Posts
I'm confused...
Ok...so you ran until empty, then based on lets say $10.00 worth of gas you put in 5.777 gallons...
Ok, so that makes since sort of...but you can't calculate MPG off of that.
You have to go from full to a point on so many miles(not necessarily empty, but all the same). Then fill it back up, the amount of miles from full to that point to full divided by how many gallons to get back to full gives you MPG.
Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
that would average out to approx 600 miles per FULL TANK. I'm sorry but I have to agree with Victor. Extremely hard to believe. I drive easy while I'm traveling and always keep my car runing nicely. so far my best on a full tank is 460 miles driving 100% highway. SO either there was more gas than you thought left in the tank, or you looked at your trip meter wrong.

·
13,021 Posts
asleepaltima said:
here we go again... what matters is that you know the amount that you just put in the tank. simple math from there. there is no difference whether i use 13 gallons or 5.777. wherever you been hiding altima-skyline, go find that place again... ;)
OK so you know how much gas you put in the tank afterwards, but how do you know how much gas you burned?

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mrdeucie said:
What do you need Ry for? Is he supposed to tell you like everyone else has that you don't know how to figure out miles per gallon?
no genius, i know how to figure something so stupid and trivial as this out. you guys dont understand the simple facts as they are laid out in front of you obviously. if i only had 5.777 gallons of gas, and i travelled 222 miles on that 5.777 gallons of gas, then the math is pretty fukking simple. FULL tank or NOT. this is based on the amount of gas that i had at that point when i FILLED it with 5.777 gallons of gas. why is that so hard to understand? does it MATTER that i have a 13 gallon (or so) tank? no. just imagine that i had only a 5.777 gallon tank and go off of that. pretty damn simple i think. i was asking, "wheres ry?" cuz he loves to slam people for the "MILES PER TANK" comment. THATS why i asked for him.

·
4,020 Posts
Ok...let me try to understand this one more time...your car had gas in it. You drove 222 miles...and then decided to fill it up. To fill it, it took 5.777 gallons. You were not empty at that point, but you decided to just go fill it with gas to check mileage. When you did fill it, you were able to get a total of 5.777 in. As this correct?

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JLewisinSyr said:
Ok...let me try to understand this one more time...your car had gas in it. You drove 222 miles...and then decided to fill it up. To fill it, it took 5.777 gallons. You were not empty at that point, but you decided to just go fill it with gas to check mileage. When you did fill it, you were able to get a total of 5.777 in. As this correct?
no, hey lewis, check it out, im not trying to sound like a dick, im just explaining it to you... when i started the car after the install, i had about an 1/8 tank of gas or so... i used that last bit up, as far as i dared with the light on. when i was sure that i was about to be walking, i put in 5.777 gallons of gas. i didnt choose that number specifically, its what i got for 10 bucks worth of fuel. at that point is what i based my mileage on. 222 miles from that point. kewl?

·
4,020 Posts
That doesn't work...you don't know where the gas gauge started based on your fill up of $10. You need a start point you can reach again by refilling your tank. The easiest and most accurate is to start at full, drive then refill to full. That is the only way you can tell MPG. That is what everyone is telling you on here. They're not trying to be dicks or anything, just pointing out your error in calculation method. But hey, if you want to believe what you did was accurate, go right ahead...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts