The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well.........I finally put the Frankecar back on. I put on some new couplers that I saw from another A.net user (I don't remember your name, but thanks for the link). I opted not to go with the stock ribbed coupler like many others have done. Here is what the finished product looks like.....

Bracket close up
Frankencar 01
Frankencar 02

It is hard to tell, but the MAF sensor tucks up nice and tight just behind where it originally was. The bracket was a little tricky to get on there just right. That sucker is on there real tight, so vibrations should not be an issue anymore.

·
Registered
532 Posts
where or how did you make that bracket?

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had a friend of mine help me custom fab one at work. We have some scrap aluminum and metal laying around from time to time. I got lucky and there was a 1/2" thick section of strong aluminum about 14 inches long. We cut it down to the right size and bent it to fit. If you look on your car right where I mounted the bracket to the car, you will see a small hole on then end of the black bracket (right by the place where all thos cables/wires get mounted to the black bracket). It was perfect for a hefty size bolt. I used a locking nut on the bottom and lock washers on the top. I actually shifted the Frankencar tube up inside the first coupler and got a slight angle out of it (hard to tell from pics). The angle turned out perfect for the MAF and alignement of the intake. The intake is not resting up against anything and the indentations underneath the hood align up with the sensor and filter so its not pressing up against it either. I was surprised it turned out so nicely.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Too Jayman9207;

With your Apexi so close to the rain gutters, are you worried about rain intrusion?

Otherwise, it really looks sharp!

·
not your avg 4 dr
108 Posts
Pvick good point about the rain intrusion. When I did mine I never really thought about that. I will have to move mine.

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
pvick said:
Too Jayman9207;

With your Apexi so close to the rain gutters, are you worried about rain intrusion?

Probably safe from any water getting in there, but that thing is going to be sucking in some extremely hot air. I remember reading somewhere that for every 10 degree increase in air temperature, you lose 1-2 hp

·
Registered
899 Posts
cpo, I think the guys that have tested these intakes have determined that the air temp is as cool as the "cold air" intakes.

Once the car is moving, the air in the intake area is not hot or stagnent. Likewise, from a stop, the cold air guys have all that tubing that heats up under the hood, so they don't get instant cold air into the MAF either.

No one so far has proven a difference in performance.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pvick said:
Too Jayman9207;

Only a little bit. I just drove through a few days of major rain and sleet/ice, and I would pop the hood everytime I got to where I was going. I notice only a tiny bit of water getting on the end and the filter was never wet. I might put some type of rubber gasket down along the inside of the hood sometime. I am not too worried about it though.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To altima2003-3.5;

If you check the photo of my Frankencar/Apexi, you'll see I have moved it well back from the hood gutters. The reason is that after I installed the unit, I closed the hood and took a 3-gallon wash pale full of water and spashed it up on the hood. I first covered the filter with paper towels. When I opened the hood, I noticed that some of the water had made its way about 1/3rd the way up the paper (I know.. have to allow for capillary action). Then I tested without the paper towel and saw that there was some water intrusion. That's why I rigged up my bracket to get the filter back and away from the gutters. Also, when I go through a BRUSHLESS carwash, I inspect the filter to be sure all is well. And when I handwash the car, I have a plastic bag that I use to cover the filter.

To cpo_sharky;

Not so at all about the intake "sucking in some extremely hot air". As DP03 points out, a number of us have spent some extensive time looking into and testing this very issue. It is just not the case at all with the Altima V6 engine where the intake resides. In fact, the Frankencar/Apexi midpipe tends to stay rather cool to the touch.. even in 94 degree weather. Believe me, I know. Last summer, I left work and drove into Manassas to a shopping mall in rush hour traffic. When I got there, I opened the hood and put my hand around the midpipe and felt the filter. Neither were hot and it was 94 degrees outside. In fact, they both felt about like ambient temperature (ambient to the outside air, that is).

So underhood heat is no concern with these cars which is good for us gearheads because it lets us take the decision between a CAI and a WAI without having to worry about the heat factor.

To 02silver2.5l;

"IS THE INTAKE WORTH THE $$$$" you ask? Absolutely!! At least for the V6, and I have to believe you can expect good results with the 4-banger, too.

·
Registered
899 Posts
And to add to pvicks comments, I don't take the extra precautions that he does. In fact, I don't do sh!t. pvick can tell you we've had an extremely wet winter here in the DC/MD/VA area. Lots of snow, rain, sleet and everything else. I've driven through it all and no wet MAF problems at all. If driving around here in the last couple of months didn't give the MAF problems, nothing will !!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts