The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of buying msd ignition and i was wondering which is better. i am also going to get the fmax kit so i really dont need a rel limiter bc the jwt ecu has it built in
let me know what you think
thanks
will

·
Resident Bitch
3,857 Posts
From everything I've read on here... I think the general concensus is that becasue Nissan over-engineered our ignition systems from the start, an "upgraded" ignition does nothing for our cars.

Demmy

·
Import Tech.
4,709 Posts
And if you just have to have an MSD ignition , DO NOT GET THE 6A !!!!! The 6A and 6AL are Identical accept for the 6AL has a rev limiter ... With the 6A you will have no rev limiter and will blow your engine when you over rev it !!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
you should get the 6aL ..due to the fact theres is a REV limter and you can always change out the chip to raise it or lower it ..i belive the Stock ECU doesnt have anything to do with the Revs on the MSD ..you might wind out the Msd Box so thats why the REv limiter is there so you dont blow your motor ...i belive thats why its better to have the 6al ./ can someone back me up on this ?

·
master of the 5th speed
298 Posts
SE-R said:
you should get the 6aL ..due to the fact theres is a REV limter and you can always change out the chip to raise it or lower it ..i belive the Stock ECU doesnt have anything to do with the Revs on the MSD ..you might wind out the Msd Box so thats why the REv limiter is there so you dont blow your motor ...i belive thats why its better to have the 6al ./ can someone back me up on this ?

you got it a little bit wrong. the ecu and msd don't work seperately. if the stock rev limiter is 6500, the msd won't take you past that. you can put a 6000 pill in the msd and the car will cutoff at that point and never reach the stock rev limiter. if u have a jwt ecu, the rev is set to 7200 unless you told them to set it to something else. so basically, the msd can only be used to lower the rev limiter of the ecu, unless your ecu has absolutely no rev limiter at all.

·
Import Tech.
4,709 Posts
When you install the MSD 6A it removes the stock rev limiter , so does the 6AL , but the 6AL has a rev limiter built into it , and it can be easly changed by installing different pills ......

·
they call me the butcher
4,232 Posts
i have heard from pleaty of mechanics that the 6al suchs ass
dont get

get the sci ignition from msd
or go jacobs

·
master of the 5th speed
298 Posts
SHAWN said:
When you install the MSD 6A it removes the stock rev limiter , so does the 6AL , but the 6AL has a rev limiter built into it , and it can be easly changed by installing different pills ......

how does the msd remove the stock rev limiter??? i had one in my car (i took it out a little while ago) and with the 7000 pill it still cut off at stock rev limit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.