The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
$11K til Pink Slip!
632 Posts
I'm a noob...but the honda is heavier and have less HP, yet it still beats the 2.5??? Are they underrating the HP on purpose? I say during the test, the honda's fuel tank was half full, and the Altima's tank was 20 gals full!

·
Altima Freak
811 Posts
I guess the 5 speed auto is better geared for 0-60? I see that it catches up in the 1/4 though. One category that is very important is the slalom. If you notice, the Altima is about 4 MPH faster. That's a big difference.

warhoggie said:
I'm a noob...but the honda is heavier and have less HP, yet it still beats the 2.5???

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
altypaul said:
I guess the 5 speed auto is better geared for 0-60? I see that it catches up in the 1/4 though. One category that is very important is the slalom. If you notice, the Altima is about 4 MPH faster. That's a big difference.
has to be the 5speed.... definitely geared better towards 0-60. Look at the camry's numbers. 9.5sec 0-60, almost identical power to the the accord.

·
$11K til Pink Slip!
632 Posts
altypaul said:
Or they purposely put in a 250LB driver in the Altima, and a 125LB in the Honda! :angry2:

·
$11K til Pink Slip!
632 Posts
BSU_Altima said:
Yeah, some of those numbers just don't add up.

You said it! Fuzzy math if you ask me! :bullshit:

Or Honda is slipping $ under the table to someone.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The 5 speed makes a big difference. I just bought my wife a new Honda Odyssey van (we have a 170 lb dog that requires a van). With the motor (240 hp) and tranny (5 speed) from the Acura MDX, the mags run the van at 7.9 0-60. Now, this is by far the slowest of my cars, but I didn't know I could start picking on the 4 cyl Alti's :) Watch out for the minivans, guys :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Results:

1. Honda Accord LX
2. Nissan Altima 2.5S
3. Toyota Camry LE

Motor Trend's Conclusion: "Previous versions of the Camry LE and Accord LX were each named IntelliChoice Best Overall Value based on lower overall costs of ownership in the areas of maintenance, repairs, fuel economy, insurance, and depreciation. There's no reason to believe these two consistent performers won't continue to do so in the future. And all three of the cars in this test are capable of delivering a positive experience from one end of the payment book to the other.
Nothing succeeds like success. The Camry is comfort food for the road, a solid, relaxing ride for tired bones. It's a value-priced, high-quality island of tranquility in a topsy-turvy world. But for the driver who occasionally likes to work a machine through an entertaining series of curves, the Camry is a rather dull instrument.
If the Camry consistently stays below the radar, both the Altima and Accord ping loudly on the enthusiast driving screen. The Altima, with its brassy good looks, roomy cabin, and snappy performance, misses greatness by the narrowest of margins, due to its preponderance of less-than-premium interior materials and sound-deadening attenuation.
The new-generation Accord, on the other hand, takes the honors in this hotly contested three-way based on high-quality presentation, sharp road manners, and generous interior accommodations. This is a fine, dual-purpose car that can double as a family hauler and a sport sedan."

Nice to see Altima finally beating out the Camry and sooo close to beating the Accord. :)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
I got that in the mail the other day too...I was a bit bothered by the numbers....that is why I did not post them...Watch out got those accords you 2.5guys

·
Registered
899 Posts
Looking at the slalom speed, the Nissan should bury the other two in the twistees.....Has a much better brake package, as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The accord has better 0-60, better 1/4 and higher trap speed, how did it catches up in the 1/4 mile?

has to be the 5speed
Here are the gear ratio for the two car

Accord: Altima
2.652 2.785
1.517 1.545
1.037 1.000
0.738 0.694

It seems that the altima have more agressive 1st, 2nd gear ratios. But let me tell what lies behind, Honda uses a 4.437 FD, and Altima uses 4.087. Another thing is, Altima uses 16 wheels with the same width and series tire as the accord while the accord is a 15. I think that nissan could have used a more agressive gearing but the gas mileage will be greatly affected seeing that now it still doesnt even compare to accord and camry.

One thing i dont understand, the accord traps higher then the altima down the 1.4 mile despite beeing heavier. Maybe Honda underated.

·
I bent my Wookie
341 Posts
The Altima has "entertaining power"

Interesting adjective :p Though from the times seems like What's Hot for the Accord is "mysterious power"

·
Rock & Roll Outlaw
649 Posts
Underated Numbers

Honda builds great 4 cylinders engines.

I am surprised that the Altima does so well against a newer design.

I bought my Altima over a year ago and the Accord is just now catching up.

Honda's numbers are underated or could it possibly be that Nissan overates.

Look at the wild swings on the VQ numbers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts