The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what to expect from these for the price. I don't have anything installed yet, however I have already bought a 10" Sony. It was rated a 150WRMS and 600 Peak, it doesnt have big power handling, however I just wanted a little more sound. I bought that about 2 weeks ago, for $100 CAD ($62 USD) with box.

I just made an offer of $250 CAD ($156 US) on 2 10" MTX T6104's. I don't know if it's with or without box, but I though it was a good deal. The MTXs are rated at 250WRMS each and have a 500 peak -> (which doesn't mean anything). I know RMS is what counts, but what I want to know is am I getting a good deal? Are these good subs?

This is going to be my first system, I don't want to go big right now, I just want some 10s.

Does anyone have any suggestions upon witch way to go? Should I take the MTXs, and sell the Sony, or keep the 1 Sony and see the MTX.

Also, should I decide to keep the MTX, what kind of box should I use? I will probably buy my first one, but I want to start experimenting with my wood working talents (the little that I have) and try a make one. I know I can get deeper bass from a sealed, but what if I made a band-pass with a sealed rear chamber and ported in the front? this is what I want to make once I get 2 subs in the car, so I can have them facing each other, in one box, with that setup.

Anyways hopefully some of you can make some sense out of that last part, I kinda just rambled on. Anyways hope some of you will be so kind to help.

Thanks,

rlaing

'99 Altima GXE (bone stock)
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I would get the two mtx 10's personally, just because I like mtx more than sony. A bandpass box will sound like crap, unless you can build it very good(correct specs....). If i were you, I would just make a sealed box for now. You can also check mtx's website and see what kind of enclosures they recommend.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TL said:
Are they new or used?
Cuz that's the going price NEW online...

http://thezeb.com/caraudio/mtx.html

Hopefully Demmy sees this thread.. she had a pair once..
Thanks TL. I sorta already confirmed the sale with the guy. So I'm most likely going to take. And yes they are used :( However I'll think of it this way. They are PRACTICALLY brand new (this years model) and I won't have to break them in! :)

Anyways as for thezeb.com, is it a reliable online dealer, I'm one of those skeptics about dealing online. :D But if they're good, I'll buy my 61/2's and stuff from there.

G

·
Be careful with the MTX 6000 series. I blew a pair of 12's with a 500 watt (though the MTX birth certificate tested it out at like 637) amp in about 5 minutes. Fried both the voice coils into a smelly pile of crap. I upgraded to the 8000's and have had no problems with them. My system is up on audioaltima.com if you like to see exactly what I have.

Demmy

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dementia said:
Be careful with the MTX 6000 series. I blew a pair of 12's with a 500 watt (though the MTX birth certificate tested it out at like 637) amp in about 5 minutes. Fried both the voice coils into a smelly pile of crap. I upgraded to the 8000's and have had no problems with them. My system is up on audioaltima.com if you like to see exactly what I have.

Demmy
hmmm... so it would be safer to slightly underpower them? I'll have to look around. If I can find a 1x400 amp, I'll run them at 2ohms mono. But so far, I have an amp in mind, my friend used to do SPL comp, and he has one amp that he doesn't need anymore. My ex is talking to him for me, cause she's better friends with him, but she said that she'll get me that for xmas but I have to pay. I have NO idea what the specs are on the amp, all I know, is that it's one of the old school RF amps, brand new it's $1200. According to him he doesn't use it cause it's his 'cheap' amp. Well, my ex will try and talk the price down, I don't know what he wants for it yet, but I'm guessing around $500.

G

·
yes... underpower them. I suppose its possible they've fixed the power handling issue, but I wouldn't count on it. The woofers I had were bought about a year ago... but who knows when they were actually mfg'd. Just be careful. I returned them under warranty and just bought the more expensive 8000's, but since you're buying used, you won't have that option. MTX is here in phx, so shipping them for repairs would suck for you.

Demmy

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dementia said:
yes... underpower them. I suppose its possible they've fixed the power handling issue, but I wouldn't count on it. The woofers I had were bought about a year ago... but who knows when they were actually mfg'd. Just be careful. I returned them under warranty and just bought the more expensive 8000's, but since you're buying used, you won't have that option. MTX is here in phx, so shipping them for repairs would suck for you.

Demmy
Heh yeah. Shipping does suck for anything! I hate waiting for something I want. Besides, up here there arent many car audio manufacturers, just retailers (well in quebec at least). Another thins I don't like is that we only get the comon brand names here, like sony, mtx, jbl, kicker, alpine, pioneer,clarion and jensen. there are many other manufacturers, it's just that in my area, they aren't carried in stores. Once I get over my fear of ordering online, I'm going to be hittin up all the discount car audio online stores like crazy. I still want to know if anyoe here has bought off thezeb.com, cause I like there prices!

G

·
I bought all of my equipment locally, and I've been very glad I did. If I had bought my woofers online... I would have been hard pressed to get the same service I got locally. I took em back... said hey these blew up. The asked what amp we were pushing em with... we told them (it was an amp they also sold us). They said well damn... sorry about that. Offered to get me another pair, told them I wanted the 8000's. No hassle, no argument, no shipping. After spending a few grand in that same store, they treat you very well. My MTX amp also screwed up. The proper procedure would have been for me to take it to MTX and wait a couple weeks to have it repaired under warranty. Instead the same store exchanged it for me, and they dealt with having the amp repaired and will then just resell it. They have given me awesome service, and will get any business I can give them in the future.

Demmy

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dementia said:
I bought all of my equipment locally, and I've been very glad I did. If I had bought my woofers online... I would have been hard pressed to get the same service I got locally. I took em back... said hey these blew up. The asked what amp we were pushing em with... we told them (it was an amp they also sold us). They said well damn... sorry about that. Offered to get me another pair, told them I wanted the 8000's. No hassle, no argument, no shipping. After spending a few grand in that same store, they treat you very well. My MTX amp also screwed up. The proper procedure would have been for me to take it to MTX and wait a couple weeks to have it repaired under warranty. Instead the same store exchanged it for me, and they dealt with having the amp repaired and will then just resell it. They have given me awesome service, and will get any business I can give them in the future.

Demmy
hmmm thats really convinient to have. Since I'm only starting out now into CarAudio, I haven't had a chance to check out the customer service in the shops around here. Hopefully I'll be just as lucky as you were. But as for prices, I can find better online then in stores, however you do have that shipping period, and service would be a bitch, sice it would all have to be done over the phone. I'd rather have personal service, then have some smuck reading off his 'how-to' cue-cards explaining to me how to do something.

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
No!!!! NEVER have an under powered rating amp than your driver!!! What causes voicecoil burnout actually are clipped signals from the amps. Obviously, you shouldn't be sending 100W to a 50W max rated driver, but what's worse is pushing a 20W amp to a 50W driver with clipped signals. Many a times, this would cause D/C to the driver which is the real voicecoil killer! Just my 02 cents.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
poisonfist said:
No!!!! NEVER have an under powered rating amp than your driver!!! What causes voicecoil burnout actually are clipped signals from the amps. Obviously, you shouldn't be sending 100W to a 50W max rated driver, but what's worse is pushing a 20W amp to a 50W driver with clipped signals. Many a times, this would cause D/C to the driver which is the real voicecoil killer! Just my 02 cents.
Gotcha, but I think that problem is solved. Next paycheck (heh, my system gets built one paycheck at a time), I'm buying a JBL 2x250WRMS/1x500WRMS JBL amp off the same guy that sold me the subs. It's still under warranty, and he's giving it to me for $300, he paid $500. Thats in CAD I might add. Anyways, I'm going to be powering the subs at exactly what there rated power is, and depending on if the amp puts out a bit more then it's specs, it may be more.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I dunno....

JBL's 1200W amp is only $299 on eBay brand new... no real warranty though...

up to you I guess.. warranty vs. 700 more watts...

underpowering and overpowering are overrated subjects..

I ran my Perfect on a 75w amp for about a month.. as long as you don't clip the amp you're just fine.. I also ran my perfect on an Earthquake 200DHC MkII... 1600W amp..

As long as you set your gains right and be smart with the volume control, you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
231 Posts
only two things barring a MFR defect, will destroy a sub. Exceeding the thermal limits and exceeding the mechanical limits.
A VC will burn with power only, a clipped signal is more power than the amp is often rated for. If you correctly set the gains like TL said you DON'T HAVE TO WORRY.
Set the gains correctly and you will have NO problems if you are under the rating, and you should have few problems if you are over.

·
Singing Crack Rabbit
20 Posts
rlaing said:

Heh yeah. Shipping does suck for anything! I hate waiting for something I want. Besides, up here there arent many car audio manufacturers, just retailers (well in quebec at least). Another thins I don't like is that we only get the comon brand names here, like sony, mtx, jbl, kicker, alpine, pioneer,clarion and jensen. there are many other manufacturers, it's just that in my area, they aren't carried in stores. Once I get over my fear of ordering online, I'm going to be hittin up all the discount car audio online stores like crazy. I still want to know if anyoe here has bought off thezeb.com, cause I like there prices!
I've bought from them. Quick shipping(took them about 6 hours to process the order. So order it on a business day and it should ship 1-2 business days later), good packing, no hidden charges, no problem with what I got(Blau Tokyo headunit and a balu 5 disk in dash changer).

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grimmwold said:

I've bought from them. Quick shipping(took them about 6 hours to process the order. So order it on a business day and it should ship 1-2 business days later), good packing, no hidden charges, no problem with what I got(Blau Tokyo headunit and a balu 5 disk in dash changer).
How did you arrange payment? Paypal? Credit Card? Check? or Collect (COD)?

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
95_XE said:
I have a brand new Pioneer sub. I bought it cause I got a good deal, but I have no use for it since I already have a sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-66zlL5YDnsQ/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67600&I=130TSW254C&o=&a=

if you're interested let me know and we'll talk about pricing, and don't buy xplod, it sucks. If you need to know some audio shops in montreal or south shore, let me know
Thanks man, but the Sony I already have, trying to sell it over on montrealracing.com, no luck yet. It's in a ported box, I know I'm asking too much for it, but I know some scmuck will buy it at that price :) I already bought the 2 MTX 10s, I need to go and buy a box for them though, I'm too lazy to make one. Eventually I'll get around to making a mold of my trunk though. I'm getting the amp around the 20th, off the same guy I bought the subs from. It's a JBL 500WRMS. I don't know the model# though. If anyone knows the model number or has a link to a page with specs on it could you please tell me. I haven't seen it anywhere, he says he bought it last summer. Either way, the amp is under warranty, and he's giving it to me with the receipts and everything!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
we should have a montreal meet sometime. There are a few modded Altima's around here, but I've never seen any of them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts