The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
1) Don't get a "turbo" style muffler. Cause our stock muffler is a "turbo" muffler. There's no point.

2) For a performance gain, you got to go with a straight through. Read about straight through designs in this article...

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05sportc.htm

3) Don't restrict yourself by trying to get a muffler that's a direct fit. Cause nothing is a direct fit and most will required a skilled welder. You may as well get something that's pretty and provide performance.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well im not really looking for a direct fit, im looking for something that is around the same size as stock. and Im not really interested in a straight through muffler based on the fact that i dont really want a loud car, not to mention that i drive on the interstate alot and a constant drone would be annoying, i just want something that sounds fairly like stock but gives a bit of gain, which this looks like it does. and judgeing from the sound clips they provide
http://www.dynomax.com/sounds.stm
(I realize all the clips are on significantly bigger engines but it would be around the same change from stock)
I prefer the sound alot over the straight through designs they sell, not to mention at least by their logic ,NA with no mods this will give me a bit over as much flow as would be needed.
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.stm
by that formula i would be generateing 330cfm exhuast and the superturbo would handle up to 410cfm. im not sure if that formula are BS though the main thing I like is the sound.
my friend as a supercharged 2001 golf with what would generally be considered nice sounding exhaust, which is pretty decent untill you try to take a trip with it. 3+ hours at 3000+rpm and it will start to get to you.

but regardless i guess i will just go measure it myself i just figured maybe someone had the specs laying around.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
cap2501 said:
... i dont really want a loud car, not to mention that i drive on the interstate alot and a constant drone would be annoying,
I've had both a straight through muffler and presently the GReddy catback. The only times both exhausts makes it's presence known is when you're accelerating or going up and incline. Cruising on the highway is almost un-noticible.

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
it's just me chiming in

flarearrow said:
I've had both a straight through muffler and presently the GReddy catback. The only times both exhausts makes it's presence known is when you're accelerating or going up and incline. Cruising on the highway is almost un-noticible.
Hey Flare smee again. You mentioned you had both, are you talking about Stock pipe with Muffler? than now the Greddy? As you know We chatted about this before but I dont see me getting a full Cat-Back just yet:bawl: . I may have to wait before I can spare that kind of money + the Wifeee isnt to happy :boxme: <-- . So even If I got a Magnaflow 14829 or 14815 (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm Doesn't the pipe need to be changed leaving the CAT? or do they just use the Stock one?

I dunno even if getting one will do anything but it seems like for the price it could be a good mod for the moment.:confused: Should I just save my dough, since the muffler alone may not be worth it. And as mentioned above I too do not want a LOUD Sounding exhaust. And since you mentioned the cruising I thought I'd ask. As always your knowledge in the Alti is very helpful. If the muffler alone is not an option, I guess I'll have to wait to do something with my exhaust. Well going for a ride with the Family, be back later.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
flarearrow said:
hmm really, more to ponder now, cause i also read lot of different reveiws on the net about exhaust and alot of people seemed to have a similar problem with droneing, with a few different brands, but maybe not in the alty. you say its only when accelerating or going up hill, about what rpm would you say it starts to kick in?

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
When I did just the muffler, the muffler I got was the Tsudo "greddy-style"

- Go to http://www.nopionline.com
- under "universal items", click on "performance"
- click on mufflers with tips
- click on Tsudo
- click Greddy style

It was a nice muffler. And with any "universal" performance muffler, it needs to be custom welded onto the car. The olf stock muffler gets cut off. Custom exhaust hangers need to be welded onto the new muffler. And the new muffler needs to be welded onto the stock exhaust pipe. Some new piping might be required between the "rear axle" and the muffler.

If you never plan on doing a header, I would say just get the muffler. My gut feeling is that if you don't do a header, you're not generating the extra amount of exhaust that justifies doing a full catback exhaust.

If you read the article ....
http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05sportc.htm
.... you remember that back pressure is the enemy. And changing out the stock muffler would be a significant uncorking of the exhaust.

So how come I got rid of the muffler and went for the GReddy catback? Installation issues with the Tsudo muffer. The first place I went to, I got hosed pretty bad. $140 for the install and it came out looking less than perfect. The muffler was not level or straight. And everytime I'd hit a bump.... knock knock knock knock knock ..... The axle-back piping wasn't bent right and it was hitting the rear axle. I went to a 2nd place to get the muffler cut off and re welded. Another $50, it came out a little bit prettier, but the damn pipe knocking bugged the shit out of me.

So I gave up (after spending $150 for the muffler and $190 in installations) and got the Greddy catback. I would have kept just the muffler if it came out looking pretty. But it was a money pit. this is one of the times where going cheap hurted me.

But that was because I didn't have the luck to find a competent muffler shop.

So weigh your options and try figuring out how you want to play your cards.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
One more thing Altima2kse...

I like the 14829. But if you're going to do a dual tip. I would go for the 14833. The other one with the long tips is kind of ricy to me. :p

cap, the droning occurs when the engine is put under strain., ie going up an incline or slowly accelerating. It'll be noisy at any RPM when the engine is straining.

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
Thanks

flarearrow said:
One more thing Altima2kse...

I like the 14829. But if you're going to do a dual tip. I would go for the 14833. The other one with the long tips is kind of ricy to me. :p

cap, the droning occurs when the engine is put under strain., ie going up an incline or slowly accelerating. It'll be noisy at any RPM when the engine is straining.
I was reading that article you linked it to another post as well. That's what I thought was not 100% sure.

I hear you I dont want to be Ricy :D I seen it on another SE here and was Just looking/pricing at all things while I make decsions here.

I like the 14829, and I just need to find out how much it will cost me for the Muff, and the install (and how much more it will cost with custom piping). As you said finding a local place to do it right is another thing. I think Tone here mentioned Total Exhaust on SI.

I am going to take a look at the 14833 now, price'em both. Well Im off to see if I can hear some clip's.....

Oh but wait, an email.................................. Ah shit Work!:angry4: I hate that, just when I want to do something work gets in the way.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
I don't know about flare, but at highway speeds my muffler actually is pretty noisy. At like 100-110 (kmph) its not too bad, but 120+ its really starts to pick up in noise. Its not SUPER loud, but you can tell its there. I have a magna flow can though, wish i got the oval now, but this was on sale.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseriespg2.htm

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thom said:
I don't know about flare, but at highway speeds my muffler actually is pretty noisy. At like 100-110 (kmph) its not too bad, but 120+ its really starts to pick up in noise. Its not SUPER loud, but you can tell its there
ya that is about how my freinds golf is, its not too loud but after a while it really starts to get to you, or at least it did to me.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Thom, cap, try driving cross country for 10+ hours with an exhaust lol But seriously, I find it's fine cruising on flat road. But when I was going up those inclines on the PA Turnpike... oh boy... my friend and I were cracking up constantly cause I think I was scaring away every woodland creature in a half mile radius.

All I can tell you is it's like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". You got to experience it yourself to find out how the sound will affect you.

I have a short ram intake and the Greddy catback. I'm ready to take it to the next level... HEADER BABY! :D

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
MagnaFlow 14814

Not loud at all at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
flarearrow said:

All I can tell you is it's like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". You got to experience it yourself to find out how the sound will affect you.
ya i know thats the problem:)

·
The Other Fella
164 Posts
cap2501

Im kinda in the same boat too. Still looking on the net for reviews, and trying to decide, currently Im hooked on Magnaflow. As Much as I would the whole thing, some custom piping to make it will just have to do. PLS post with your selection and review after you get it done. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts