The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing and little misfire lately from my car and a rough idle. My cel came on and I pulled the code for multiple cylinder misfire. I have replaced the plugs (ngk platinums), wires (ngk), and oem cap and rotor. I also checked the egr valve as well as tried the carb cleaner trick around the intake manifold and listened for change in idle. Fuel filter has less the 5k on it. Oh and I even checked the timing.

One thing I did not check are the injectors. How can I check these to make sure they are working properly? I have never had them flushed and I have 72k on my car. I have always used premium fuel ever since I had my timinig advanced. Am I long overdue for a fuel system flush?

Any other ideas on what could be causing this misfire?

·
Registered
135 Posts
maybe your timing could be off

·
Irish Designated Driver
223 Posts
Also..some people think they are upgrading with the platinum plugs and they sometimes don't agree with the firing system... try factory plugs and reset code and see if that helps.. they're cheap enough to give it a try...

·
Registered
28 Posts
you can check the injectors by using a screwdriver as a stethescope. There should be a constant ticking on each one. Place the screwdriver on the hold down cap of the injector. I had three go out in about a month. Took me forever to figure it out.

You can also pull the spark plug wires of each cylinder to narrow it down. If you already have a rough idle and pull a wire and nothing changes, then that is a cylinder that is causing problems.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
chamburg said:
you can check the injectors by using a screwdriver as a stethescope. There should be a constant ticking on each one. Place the screwdriver on the hold down cap of the injector. I had three go out in about a month. Took me forever to figure it out.

You can also pull the spark plug wires of each cylinder to narrow it down. If you already have a rough idle and pull a wire and nothing changes, then that is a cylinder that is causing problems.
But be aware that an injector can click and still be bad. For example, the resistance and fuel spray could be off. I once had a fuel injector that was clicking OK but changed resistance value and it was giving me rough idle and random surging at highway speeds. But the test described does confirm that the power and ECU injector signals are present.

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
get rid of that platinum crap! NGK coppers work awesome, platinums and KA's don't seem to work well. everyone I have drove or worked on with platinums ran like shit.

run some add to tank injector cleaner for a tank and see if it helps your problems.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick said:
get rid of that platinum crap! NGK coppers work awesome, platinums and KA's don't seem to work well. everyone I have drove or worked on with platinums ran like shit.

run some add to tank injector cleaner for a tank and see if it helps your problems.
I will give that a try.

·
The Dude
8,837 Posts
did you know we have a vbgarage Dom? These car problems must be why you have a chip on your shoulder.

check to see if the valve in your egr moves in and out freely. If its stuck open, this could very well be the cause of your misfire. corroded points in your distributer cap cause high resistance, which could also lead to misfire. run codes again and see if it will narrow down which cylinders are misfireing. (there are different codes for different cylinders )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts