The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 750 Posts

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys this is my 1st time attempting to do a retrofit.It's been fun so far.I started this thread to share my experience and keep everyone updated. Even though Im not done,hope you like what you see so far.

Material and cost:
4 Mini H1 projectors $120
2 Relay harness $60
4 Led Halos $50
4 bulbs $60
2 Hid ballast $90
2 cans OEM paint color $50
1 Dremel with attachments $112
1 can adhesion promoter $20
1 can gloss clear coat $18
2 Headlights $171
1 can primer (I already had)
1 Bullydog abrasive cleaner (I already had)
2 splitters $10
Total $761

1st I chose to mask and paint my shrouds

shrouds painted to match my OEM color two-tone effect

Next I baked my headlights at 250 degrees for 7min. and separated them

Next:I cleaned my headlght housings with Bullygog abrasive cleaner.
Then I masked them,primed and painted them OEM color

After they had 24hrs. drying time I reassembled the chrome reflectors

Then I started to dremel out one of the headlights.It was alot more time consuming than I had anticipated. You have to be very careful with this process. The key is to dremel a little at a time. I dremeled out 2 holes--one for mounting the projectors and one for running wires.

That's it for now I will be updating this thread as I continue this project!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Nice! It seems that Bicardi helped you through the process eh? :keke:

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts

·
14 NAS SL
1,375 Posts
that looks good Rob.. Seems like everyone is doing retrofits now..

makes me want to get my lights done

·
In Soviet Canuckistan
632 Posts
Not bad! I'd like to see how this turns out!

·
I Love Dank
69 Posts
Those look cool as...well you know! Just hard for me to find a justifiable reason of spending almost $800 on some headlights though. But they look very nice. Cant wait to see how they look on your car!

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
Also invest in a lot of vice grips to help hold the lens together when you reseal them to try to make a proper seal. And also, make sure "ALL" of the original glue is removed off the lens and off the housing to make resealing them easier with less chances of a leak

·
June '12 NOTM winner
1,123 Posts
Also invest in a lot of vice grips to help hold the lens together when you reseal them to try to make a proper seal. And also, make sure "ALL" of the original glue is removed off the lens and off the housing to make resealing them easier with less chances of a leak
Funny you say that. I just picked up 3 of the little vise grips from home depot for 3 bucks each. They are pretty decent for pocket change lol..

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
I usually leave the vice grip in place for 24-48 hours to try to get as good a seal as possible.

·
Raiders & Lakers 4 Life
4,195 Posts
lookin good u got pic of them installed on ur altima

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
I just noticed, you cut out a big chunk out of the side of the housing that the high beam mounts into. Thats gonna be really noticable. try to bondo it and fill it back in. Most people just trim the shrouds a bit if there is a space issue

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Well guys this is my 1st time attempting to do a retrofit.It's been fun so far.I started this thread to share my experience and keep everyone updated. Even though Im not done,hope you like what you see so far.

Material and cost:
4 Mini H1 projectors $120
2 Relay harness $60
4 Led Halos $50
4 bulbs $60
2 Hid ballast $90
2 cans OEM paint color $50
1 Dremel with attachments $112
1 can adhesion promoter $20
1 can gloss clear coat $18
2 Headlights $171
1 can primer (I already had)
1 Bullydog abrasive cleaner (I already had)
2 splitters $10
Total $761
:aha: wow! i guess this is one mod i wont be doing anytime soon :D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
looks like a nice project. Hope you don't have to keep baking the headlights every time you want to add something!

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that looks good Rob.. Seems like everyone is doing retrofits now..

makes me want to get my lights done
thanks man its been a time consuming project.

Those look cool as...well you know! Just hard for me to find a justifiable reason of spending almost $800 on some headlights though. But they look very nice. Cant wait to see how they look on your car!
Lol thats because I didnt have all the tools.:)

thanks tooslow will do.I'm going to remove the left over seal with acetone!

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I usually leave the vice grip in place for 24-48 hours to try to get as good a seal as possible.
Will do

lookin good u got pic of them installed on ur altima
hopefully I will be able to aim them by this weekend!

I just noticed, you cut out a big chunk out of the side of the housing that the high beam mounts into. Thats gonna be really noticable. try to bondo it and fill it back in. Most people just trim the shrouds a bit if there is a space issue
Lmao you noticed.Yeah I wasnt suppose to go that far.I was planning on just putting metallic tape over it.

:aha: wow! i guess this is one mod i wont be doing anytime soon :D
It would cost much less if you do dual projectors!:cool1:

looks like a nice project. Hope you don't have to keep baking the headlights every time you want to add something!
Man after I'm done I'm done to hell with that!

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
You don't need acetone top remove the excess. Just warm it up in the oven for about 5 minutes then use a flathead or small knife top dig out the excess. You want to use as few chemicals as possible to prevent damaging any painted surface

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't need acetone top remove the excess. Just warm it up in the oven for about 5 minutes then use a flathead or small knife top dig out the excess. You want to use as few chemicals as possible to prevent damaging any painted surface
That's what I will do then.Tooslow one question. When you buy the projectors there is a thick white plastic washer that comes with it.I was told you should put this on the projector before you mount it because it helps absorb impact.Is it really necessary to use this item? because the way my holes are dremeled i wouldn't be able to get the projector through them.

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
You don't need top use that thick one. We are limited in space so I don't use it. Do far no problems

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay fellas here is a tease.I mounted my led halos to my shrouds today with 3m tape and a little bit of crazy clue.

Just playing around

Inside the housing

These Leds are illegal so they will be wired to a switch

1 - 20 of 750 Posts