The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Who's Next?
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well yesterday i posted about how my alty when i start it it sounds like it wants to turn off, and it sounds like its chocking, and it starts to idle weird, and once i rev it a few times it goes away, so last night i was leaving my cousins house and theres a street that everyone speeds on right after a stop sign, so i floored it and all of a sudden my alty slowed down and started to hesitate, i gave it gas and all the lights came on which means it turned off, so parked and took out the key, waited a few seconds and turned it on again, and it started to idle and choke and wanted to turn off, once put it drive and drove for like 10 seconds i gave it more gas and it turned off again. and i parked i poped the hood open, looked around and saw nothing from what ican see wrong, so i waited again turned it on and it didnt want to start. at this point i was already crying. i called my cousin to come pick me up and push my alty to safe area. 10 mins later he got there, and i tried it one more time, and this time when i reved it barely to 1000rpms i heard this semi-loud poping noise form the engine and it turned off. i have no idea why it did this. now if there was a problem withmy car why didnt the engine light come on? now its been raining in cali for a few weeks now, and i have PR CAI but no bypass valve, but ive avoided puddles. could water in the engine cause this problem?? or what i was told earlier from you guys that the choking the idling the car sounding like it wants to turn off have to do with old spark plug wires, fuel filter, egr solenoid???? man at this i dont know what it can be. and i cant miss any more work so im sitting here trying figure out what happen, while my car is parked in some strange neighborhood. if anyone has any feedback on what may of happen let me know cause im not even done paying for it, and already it dies hopefully it didnt):( :(

·
1,484 Posts
It doesn't sound like water lock, caused from lack of the bypass valve. Most of the time when that happens the car won't crank over.

First off check the ignition. Take the 1st spark plug out starting at either said. pull it out, and where the connector at the end of it is, that seats over the spark plug, put a flat head screw driver in that connector. So the connector is sitting over the screw driver. Then hold the screwdriver close to the metal valve cover where the spark could ark across to the valve cover. If you see a spark you know the wires are still good. Do this to each plug wire.

Second if the wires are good. Take out the spark plugs, and check to make sure they are still ok, and not burned up. Also check for any moisture around the spark plugs.

If everything seems fine there. Check the coil wires, make sure the coil wires are still all connected. Mine came loose, and I didn't even notice it, but I also have the MSD blaster as my coil so it wasn't too hard to check.

If those are fine. Check for any corosion around the battery terminals, and make sure all connections are good to the battery.

If all is fine check to make sure of any cracks on the distributor cap. The cap isn't hard to take off so I would take it off, and check the rotor inside. You can clean the points inside the cap that the rotor passes over to make sure they are free of any buildup.

Next look for any cracks in the vacuum lines.

Is there fuel in the tank. Just asking I know it seems like a dumb question. The guage might be faulty.

From what you say of the popping noise. It seems like a misfire. So iginition problems seem to sound like the problem. Or fuel related.

Give these a try, and if doesn't work out I'll see what else I could tell you to help you out.

Good luck, Shawn.

·
Who's Next?
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you shawn im actually at work right now so it took me a while to reply but thanks, i just called my mechanic and i told him where my car is parked, so he can go look at it im sure what you just said hell know what to so, if not ill let him know, but im sure he will figure it out, and my wires are kinda old ngk's and my fuel filter to. im not sure ill let you guys know what happens and please if anymore feed back would help me out thanks

·
Terrance and Phillip Show
1,378 Posts
um... i havent had any problems like that, but i would guess either something blocking your fuel flow, or something in your ignition/spark plugs and stuff... then maybe check distributor... not sure what to tell ya though... hope thats of help

·
Who's Next?
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well guys my mechanic just called and he said it was the distributor, $150.00 to replace and i asked him if i messed up anything else and from what he can see is nothing but he said it was running on 2 cylinders when i started it, but i still dont know what the poping noise could of been when i reved it yesterday?? but hopefully it was just the distributor and i didnt mess anything else. im still going to change the fuel filter and the wires and an oil change. ill keep you guys updated on any other issues i may encounter do to this inconvenience of mine. (now thats good customer service B.S.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
The popping was a misfire caused by the distributor.Was it through the intake or exhaust?$150 is for the parts and labor?That a damn good price.My car was doing all of the same stuff as yours and I didnt recognize the problem,I consider myself a fair mechanic,Nissan hit me with a $700 bill.You live and you learn.

·
Who's Next?
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it was 170 for parts and 75 for labor. hes a friend of the family, and its funny cause i just baught a carbon fiber hood a week ago and im so broke that im gonna have to go race for money right now to pay him :) lets just hope i didnt mess anything up and later i ts gets worst. but as an altima owner ive noticed i have bad luck with certain things. oh well.... thats my alty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts