The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dunno if this is normal but it idles at like 500 rms. and it sounds like its about to shut off but it doesnt. only when its at idle though. when im going i dont hear anything. what could it be. i changed my spark plugs recently to Bosch Plat+4s. i dunno whats the deal, have any of you experience this? im also running 93 octane

·
AKA Howey Feltersnatch
2,051 Posts
Siizzzoooo said:
i dunno if this is normal but it idles at like 500 rms. and it sounds like its about to shut off but it doesnt. only when its at idle though. when im going i dont hear anything. what could it be. i changed my spark plugs recently to Bosch Plat+4s. i dunno whats the deal, have any of you experience this? im also running 93 octane
dude, its prolley that home depo intake you have on your car now. have you checked everything out w/ that? that would be m guess. but check what mike suggested, latas. . .

·
105hp OWNS
391 Posts
Did you get exhaust put onto the car, if you did you may be losing back pressure. In order to fix this just move the idle speed up a little, well it worked on my 95, not sure about yours thou.

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
1. You cannot gap Bosch +4's they are a side gap design and are pre-gapped.

2. Low rpm idle with no codes is due to vacuum leak or poor idle control valve. Check your maniolfd vacuum and clean the TB. If everything is OK, then you can turn up the idle screw (last-ditch effort).

3. The catalytic converter alone will provide all the back pressure you need. Changing the exhaust won't make a difference.

4. Verify your ECU is getting all the correct feedback info. Air temp sensor, engine temp sensor, etc. Screwing up any of these will screw-up everything.

5. Somebody needs to check alot of this misinformation.

Good luck with the idle.

·
SR20DE/sss
265 Posts
Your new plugs may not be compatible with the car. It happened to me before only discovering that I put the wrong sparkplugs specs for my engine...

·
4G > SR
2,767 Posts
GET THOSE DAMN +4'S THE HELL OUT OF THERE, DID I NOT TELL YOU HOW BAD THOSE PLUGS FUCKED UP MY IDLE JUST LIKE YOUR TALKING ABOUT??? NEVER RUN ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR EXCEPT FOR ................NGK............... THEY ARE THE SHIZNITTLE BAM SCHNIP SCHNAP SCHNAP

HOLLA,

TIM
'94 GXE AKA THE ALTY THAT CONSTANTLY STOMPED SIZZOOO'S CARS ASS :D

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya'll aer shittin me, i fucking payed 25 bucks for some spark plugs that alot of people use and thats my problem? damn, im gonna put the stocks back in and see if that fixes it. it cant be my intake, its just an extension, so i'll see if changeing the spark plugs helps it.......

·
SR20DE/sss
265 Posts
I bought a set of bosch super fours and installed them in my alti SR20DE. After the installation, the engine hesitates. Someone told me to reset my computer box, some told me to take the baterry terminals out for a couple of hours, some told me other shit. I did everything but didn't work only to find out that I bought the wrong spark plug specs for my engine. Then I bought another super four with a different heat capacity (i forgot the no.) and it worked out great. You'll just have to find out the right plugs from your local dealer.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Its all a matter of opinion on the plugs (i like the NGK's or Denso plugs). However, i think it is something else than the plugs.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well it only happens at random times. like other times everything sounds normal. but i ride around clean with my gas tank ALWAYS on E so maybe it could be that....i dunno..shit

·
SR20DE/sss
265 Posts
SuprStyl said:
Its all a matter of opinion on the plugs (i like the NGK's or Denso plugs). However, i think it is something else than the plugs.
That's right... you can put any brand of plugs you want... but there is a specified model per brand that go with our engine.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zedlav said:

That's right... you can put any brand of plugs you want... but there is a specified model per brand that go with our engine.
well yeah i knew that, i went to an autoparts place here and they looked up the number for my car, the ones i got are 4417. is that the wrong size?

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Well...

According to Bosch at http://www.boschusa.com/

the 4417 is the correct model for the 2nd gen Altima.

BUT!!!

I checked http://carparts.com and http://partsamerica.com/ and
http://NAPAonline.com

and they all do not list the Bosch platinum +4's for the altima at all (I used 2000 model).

I would guess that the Bosch is not recommended for the Altima application.

If you want a good expensive plug, try the NGK Laser platinum series. They were recommended every time.

Randy

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Siizzzoooo said:

well yeah i knew that, i went to an autoparts place here and they looked up the number for my car, the ones i got are 4417. is that the wrong size?
NGK Platinums are the OEM plug for your car, per the 99 NSM.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im putting the stock NGKs back on tonite, i'll see how it goes

·
candy is dandy.
3,932 Posts
bosch is the worst for a nissan.youd never figure that a spark plug of the proper heat range and gap would give shitty performance but believe me,as ive seen this many times on my customers car that run bosch in a nissan,that it does cause a problem.ngk or autolite.thats the only way to go,i prefer autolite myself.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn dood, b4 i switched to Bosch, people told me they were the shit, but instead they are pieces of shit. is there any alternative that is better than the stock NGKs, mine said NGK R, i dont know if that meant anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts