The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Something Like A Pimp
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got two new rear tires on my 97 two weeks ago. The tread is already bald on my rear passenger tire. The wear starts on the outside then comes inward. The only thing I can think of is a bad shock. When I go over a speed bump my rear passenger tire bounces. No stiffness in the rear shock. I would like to upgrade my suspensionbefore I get my rims. I want a stiff and sporty ride like a BMW. It seems like the KYB's are the only option. How are they? Im also thinking of lowering my ride to kill the wheel gap. How should I go about lowering without a bouncy ride like (coilovers)?

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Not the shock, for certain.
What you probably have is an extraordinary amount of toe in. In Florida you might not notice as much because you never drive over patches of ice/snow. If you did that with radical toe in/out, it would feel like that end of the car was wanting to change lanes, particularly when one side hits slick stuff and the other is still on dry pavement.

·
OG
4,071 Posts
sir u have the EXACT same problem as i
except i live in jersey so i can vouch for what kierandill is saying with the back wanting to change lanes
i also made the mistake of getting rims before doing suspension
do the suspension first ... lowering and such
when im doin mine im doin drop zone coilovers and kyb struts ... because some members have said that it gives a bouncy ride (bmw like i guess) and its CHEAPER

oh ... read this : here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alignment

Listen up........... Wish i had seen a post like this 2 months ago. The back of the car going side to side like your driving on a lake of ice! Forcing you to drive 25 MPH on the highway while cars go 65mph when it snows!!! and finally INSTANT CONSUMPTION of rear tires!.......................GET the car aligned makes a world of difference i always felt edgey about going around corners too fast or even hitting a pot hole because i always felt the back of the car going somewhere else........... Get the alignment done it will solve the problem. Whether or not something else is causing it to go out of alignment i do not know. Wish I had done it sooner i just had to spend a couple hundred on new tires(6 months old---with TOTAL BALD SPOT on rear tires) and alignment. Do it ASAP, made me love my alty all over again.

--Good Luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
I concur with everyone else. I actually had a bent toe rod in the rear which made me eat through tires. Replacing it and aligning the car cured my problem.

·
Something Like A Pimp
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys guys I was freakin when my tires kept balding and the rear was swinging in pot holes. Im getting my alignment asap. I just hate tire places they always have some bs story like you need new tie rods before we can align this car or something. I got screwed at sears and tire kingdom with my first two car. a $60 alignment turned into a $600 suspension repair. I want a place to just align my car. I hate sears and tire kingdom. Right now I'll get my alignment and new rear tire. I've narrowed the wheels down to the aerospeed GS-T (black ,polished lip) or the SE-R Vspec rims. As far a suspension budget says KYB ,but I might save more for the Tocikos. I thank Im going with elbiach springs for the drop. I hate the bounce of coilovers. I wish I could afford bags those are the shizzle.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts