The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Haulin' the Family
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I autocross race my 96 altima SE on occasion and have been creating some really cool incar camera shots. I have created a way to build a mount to hold my small Sony Hi8 camcorder.
I used a piece of wood to span the distance between the front seats. I drilled two holes where the headrest posts slide through the wood's holes and "clamp down" on the wood securly. I mounted a small PVC fitting in the middle and mounted a cheap-o tripod head to the PVC. The seats need to be of equal adjustment so the mount is not crooked.
The results are great! I added a wide angle lens ($50) to the camera so I could get a full view of the interior as well. You can see my position on the wheel as well as when I shift. If I look closely I can even see the gauges. Its been a valuable tool for honing my racing "skills."
I'd post video if I had server space....sorry.

-hope the pics show up.

·
Haulin' the Family
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one more

The rear seat view of my mount with my "altima-cam" decal
(patent pending...hahaha)
I use the camera remote to start and stop recording.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
HOLY SHIT DUDE! That is great! haha Id love to see some of the videos if you can email em or xfer em over AIM or somethin...

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
kinda looks like PT's camera mount. However, I'm glad that PT's design isn't like yours...PT's legs are shorter than mine, so when he drives, the seats in the middle of the slide tracks, and when I'm riding shotgun, the seats all the way back.
Great thinking dood. I'll see if I can post a pic of PT's camera mount.
Jae

·
Haulin' the Family
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments...yeah it works awesome...the seats act as a natural isolator as well...helping to keep the image shake free. If you have a camera with image stablization (like mine), it works even better. The wide angle is a must too.

I tried the tripod bungeed in the back, I tried all kinds of set-ups for a incar cam....then I realized I was overthinking it. Came up with a simple plan...sometimes simple is better!

My friend built one for his mustang too with the same size PVC fitting, we just take off the tripod head and camera to transfer it. Its really easy.
Yeah, and your right. Alti-Cam is better. Thats what everyone keeps telling me. Hahaha! Guess I'll make a new sticker.

One more thing...not that anyone has questioned me, but if you race, leave it out for tech inspection. Then put it in befor you race.

I need to find a way to post video on the net...ideas please?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts