The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
You Can't Front On That..
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so, my 99 Altima keeps stalling. It will run fine for enough time to think that everything is okay and then I'll get 2 or 3 miles down the road and it will start acting up. If the tactometer drops below 2000 the engine stalls, so pretty much whenever I let off the gas, it stalls.

I work at a nissan dealership, and I had a tech look at it. We checked all the vacuum lines and they all checked out. Of course when we started it, it acted fine. Then after the service dept. closed, it starts misbehaving again.

I don't know what to do and my service dept looks at me like I'm crazy. I'm sorry I didn't search this, but I don't even know where to start....

Please help....

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, but may I ask what IACV stands for or more specifically what does it do?

·
1,484 Posts
Idle air control valve. It basically controlls the air flow rate coming into the manifold. This allows the engine to idle higher or lower by adjusting the flow of air into the mani.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would this IACV need to be adjusted after putting a wai on? It ran fine for 3 weeks after I put the wai on. Then I was adjusting a hose under the hood one day and it started to rain. The engine was exposed to the rain for about 10 min but it didn't get too wet. The problem started the next morning...

Could it be ignition or electrical? That seems to be a common opinion around work....

Thanks for all your help everyone....

·
Registered
8 Posts
dude i had almost the same problem with my car, its a nissan altima 94" when i install the air intake i had to make the air hoses fit into the new custom intake and sometimes it was not giving enough air to the engine. check all your air hoses or maybe its the mass air flow sensor.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm pretty sure it was an air hose off of the intake. They are all on tight and the car runs strong.

However, there is still the problem of when I am cruising in any particular gear, and I let off the gas the car is very bouncy, without pressing the clutch or anything....

Do I need a new clutch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
o.k there is a way to know if you need a clutch or not ... most of the people that drag race know this.... its a little dangerous but it work, turn the car on and try to put a higher gear insted of the 1st (while the car is park not running) maybe on 2nd or 3rd and if the car stalls after you change the gear you need a clutch if not then u don't or u can take it to have it check either way it works (oh yeah smoke may come out)

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it is an electrical issue that would be great because I want to upgrade to MSD anyway...

Hey, thanks for all of your continued assistance...

·
Flipdefleur!
242 Posts
Does ur engine sputter on accelartion up to 3000rpms at all? Do u smell fuel when its sputtering? Is it difficult to restart once its died out?

Just wondering cuz those were my probs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you checked your distributer. Alot of times right before it goes bad it will idle low and cut off. You will be able to start the car and run fine for a few miles before it acts up again. Speaking from experience. Might wanna check that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts