The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it is a 95 Altima (5spd) GXE with about 140-150k on it. She drove it to work and came back out and it wouldn't start. The engine would turn over, and it would putter like it was going to start, but nothing.

A few days earlier she started it and went to drive it right away with out letting it warm up and it puttered and died on her? She started it back up, let it warm up and it drove fine.

So (after it won't start at all) we take it to a mechanic and they replace the starter (we basically burned it up trying to start it). They also replace the plugs and wires. After this they try to start it and it does the same thing. It putters and turns over like it wants to start, but no luck. (In the process they burned the second starter up and had to replace that, thrid starter was a dud so they ordered another one and it will be in tomorrow).

My friend that works at the shop thinks that it is actually getting too much fuel?

I am thinking it might be the ecu, but am totally lost! :embarasse

Does anyone have an suggestions on things to test or trouble shoot to narrow this down? thanks for any thoughts!

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
if u flooded the engine, push the gas pedal all the way down when starting, it'll burn off all the gas in the cylinder.

·
Screamin' Seamin'
561 Posts
I had similar problems with my 1st gen. I replaced the cap and all that, but noticed some oil in the distributor. Check out the cap, pull of the rotor and loosen up the cover to see if your little timing disc is saturated with oil. If so this can cause your engine not to fire correctly. Mine would putter sometimes and once it just stalled out, I pulled of the cap and rotor saw the disc had oil on it and dried it with a clean dry cloth and presto it fired right up. The reason the car may have started up later is because the oil dripped off the little disc ( I dont know what its called, but it looks like a little cd with several notches in it). See if this might be a problem. If so, look at replacing the rubber seals around the cap or even buying a new distibutor if need be.

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
check your ecu for codes.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Yes, check the ecu for trouble codes. My guess would be either injectors or distributor.

·
Energy Liberation Front
1,290 Posts
Absolut_Vodka98 said:
I had similar problems with my 1st gen. I replaced the cap and all that, but noticed some oil in the distributor. Check out the cap, pull of the rotor and loosen up the cover to see if your little timing disc is saturated with oil. If so this can cause your engine not to fire correctly. Mine would putter sometimes and once it just stalled out, I pulled of the cap and rotor saw the disc had oil on it and dried it with a clean dry cloth and presto it fired right up. The reason the car may have started up later is because the oil dripped off the little disc ( I dont know what its called, but it looks like a little cd with several notches in it). See if this might be a problem. If so, look at replacing the rubber seals around the cap or even buying a new distibutor if need be.
Same thing started happening to my 95 at about 130k miles. Check your distributor. It sounds exactly like the problem I was having.

·
L4D2 Rage!
1,818 Posts
Most likely is the distributor or the fuel pump

·
Speed Racer
243 Posts
check the fuel filter. with that many miles it is probally cloged. i just replaced mine at 120,000 and it has made a huge diffrence.
it just sounds like the car isn't getting enough fuel. if it was flodding you would deffenetly smell it. that and i don't know that you CAN flood a car with electronic ignition, and fuel injection.

ohh the fuel filter is less than 10.00 and takes 15 mins to install.

everyone here likes to make things sound soo difficult, but ppl just need to get a haynes manual and check the cheap easy shit first. i have had my altima since 95 (new off the lot) and from my experience nothing big really goes wrong. just the small shit that should be regular matnence but no one pays attion too.
just my opinion.

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
STOP WASTING TIME GUESSING AND CHECK YOUR ECU CODES.

·
Speed Racer
243 Posts
ok if the car is partially turning over and starts then imediatly dies it isn't the distributer. even if the dis was completly shot like mine was the car still ran just rough. now if the fuel filter is shot or cloged then the car isn't getting the required amount of gas to keep the engine running

and i don't think the ecu codes are going to say shiite

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ECU doesn't throw any codes

This was of course the first thing I checked. The new starter didn't make it in today so no other test was done. Dist was checked and there was no oil and it was in working condition.

Thanks for all the responses.

I also would like to know why the hell do these starters keep burning up??

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Victim64 said:
Ok, it is a 95 Altima (5spd) GXE with about 140-150k on it. She drove it to work and came back out and it wouldn't start. The engine would turn over, and it would putter like it was going to start, but nothing.

A few days earlier she started it and went to drive it right away with out letting it warm up and it puttered and died on her? She started it back up, let it warm up and it drove fine.

So (after it won't start at all) we take it to a mechanic and they replace the starter (we basically burned it up trying to start it). They also replace the plugs and wires. After this they try to start it and it does the same thing. It putters and turns over like it wants to start, but no luck. (In the process they burned the second starter up and had to replace that, thrid starter was a dud so they ordered another one and it will be in tomorrow).

My friend that works at the shop thinks that it is actually getting too much fuel?

I am thinking it might be the ecu, but am totally lost! :embarasse

Does anyone have an suggestions on things to test or trouble shoot to narrow this down? thanks for any thoughts!

Have you checked fuel presence and pressure? One easy way to find out if its a fuel problem is disconnect one of the rubber hoses on the intake tube. Cup your hand around it and shoot some intake cleaner in the hole. If the car starts and runs for as long as you are shooting intake cleaner in it, and it stalls once you stop feeding it intake cleaner then you know you have a fuel problem. Check the fuel pump fuse while you are at it. No need to burn up starters to find a problem. You know it doesn't start so go with that. Make sure the car is getting Air, Fuel and Spark. If one is missing find out why and how to fix it and the car will run.

Don't blame the ECM. Mechanics who don't know what to do will always blame the ECM. Test everything before you label it bad.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
The starters are burning up cuz they are cheap pieces of junk. That or they are installed incorrectly. Tell the mechanics to get their thumbs out of their asses and fix your car. I am laughing at them right now. All of them would have been fired at my shop after burning up even 2 starters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts