The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a bad ****ing day. So I get this great idea to shave my trunk right? Two days of work. I get it really good tonight...a little more work tomorrow to get it totally level and smooth. So I go to a local body shop to ask them for some tips and advice. You wanna hear what that great advice is?

And I quote..."Cut it out, weld in a piece of metal...and do it over again".

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK YYOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! My reaction was hidden because I was so tired. But in my head I was beating him to a bloody pulp. And enjoying every second of it. :(

So tomorrow i'm gonna ask if they can weld in some metal for the side moldings. Hmmmmph....

On a side note...they were working on his wide body Mr2. It was SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!! And an integra powered, turbo charged CRX. NICE!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
well, he wasnt lying....the best way Ive heard to "shave" anything is to cut it out, weld a plate behind it and fill it back with body fill and sand it back down. So, dont be mad at him. lol

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I used about 5 pints? I think. And I sanded FOREVER. Now they tell me...weld on a plate...apply a little bondo for the low spots...and bam...done. All that sanding...done for NOTHING!! ACK!!

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm broke...=( And I like doing the old fashioned way anyways. It gives me something to do.

·
many words, few of wisdom
1,214 Posts
you don't have to "buy" a power sander. just get one on your credit card, use it, clean it, return it. dont forget to buy extra sand paper things for it cuz you want to use that instead of the ones they have in the box

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha...credit card...Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....:D

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
wait, so u did it without welding a peice of metal? just using bondo? why would u do that? perhaps u should have asked for advice before u attempted it. also, if youre going to fill on your side moldings, i dont think youll need to weld in metal for that.

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on the trunk line yes. Just body filler. And i'm talking to ROG about my side moldings...I figured you wouldn' tneed to weld for side moldings.

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to learn how to weld just to know. I could weld in covers for my door handles and ROG wouldn't charge me out the asshole! :D lol. Just playin ROG. I just wanna learn.

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
MIG is really easy to learn. You can pick any Joe from the street and he'll be able to weld in like an hour. Gas welding is really hard though, a good instructor will teach you to gas weld first, then to arc welding, and then to MIG.

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Teach me DAN!!

When I go back to school in Kentucky...I'm gonna get into a welding class, or a body work class. As well as a painting class. I really wanna learn about this shit! What's MIG welding anyways? What's TIG? What's gas welding? What's arc welding? Explain DAN! NOW! :D

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what's the difference between them?

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
Gas welding is the oldest way of welding, first, you have to understand welding. The difference between welding and soldering is that welding is about fusing two same metal composition by adding the same metal. For example, if you want to weld, you need two pieces that will be joined that are made of the same material (mild steel, stainless steel etc.) and add in the same steel as well. Soldering is about joining two metals of any sort (it can be the same material but it can also be copper and silver, gold and bronze etc) by adding a third metal that has a lower melting temperature. Basically, when you weld, the finished product will be one solid piece of metal (no mixtures of any other type of metal).

Gas welding is joining the metals by the means of a torch. You align the joint and hold a rod of the metal to add in in one hand while you hold the torch in the other. You heat the joint of the two metals until it starts to "flow", and as it does you add in the metal by feeding the rod in one hand.

Arc welding is an electronic welding (so is MIG but I'll get there eventually).
You basically connect electrical components (the cathode (-) to a metal table you'll be working on, or in some cases connect the cathode directly to the object to be weld). The annode is basically a large alligator clamp (like on your jumper cable) and you hold a rod that consists of the material you want to weld that is coated with flux (an agent that will combust as you weld, creating a non-oxygen environment so as not oxydize the joint). You start by kind of teasing the rod near the joint till it sparcs and once it does you try to keep the arc as you feed the rod to fill in the joint.

MIG (and TIG) is the easiest of all, it's a machine that will feed the metal wire through the hand piece. When you pull the trigger, the wire starts to feed out from the center of the hand piece while Argon gas (an inert gas that creates a non-oxygen environment) is released centered around the wire feed. You basically connect the cathode to the object to be welded, and the wire feed is the annode so as soon as the wire touches the object connected to the cathode, it'll start to fuse with the object.

I have never done TIG so I really can't say but it's about more precision and the abiltiy to use any metal desired to create high quality welds.

For more info, I found a site that may be useful. http://www.weldingengineer.com/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts