The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just my experience, mayb help for some of you:

i have a one year old HP laptop. it runs great exept that the screen is going to shit with dark areas near the sides (so called pressure). its actually just made like shit and has not support, our old dell laptop have stronger screen supports. Also the logic board keeps breaking, basically making it uncapable of not turning on.

its going back to the repair place for the third time in 6 weeks...each time for the logic board. good thing is i have an extended warrenty with City Assure, a warrenty place with Circuit City. The service with them sucks cuz my computer is out for a long time, they dont 2nd day u the box to mail out the computer, but 2nd day it back to you. so your looking at about 9 days w/o ur comp. my work is my laptop. also they dont help you out much with your problem, they just do what they want.

sorry, im very dissapointed with both HP laptop and Circuit City. ill go with Sony or Toshiba notebooks next time and at least go to Best Buy to buy it, their warrenty problem is better. best buy isnt in the shits like Circuit City and Carmax is.

·
<----Just say NO to Drugs
1,621 Posts
toshiba=shit i own one and holy hell did it take me a month to find a bitch at customre support that spoke english to fix my problem.
circuit shitty sucks. if you have an extended warranty, and its been in 3 times same problem=new laptop (lemon law type warranty)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you can't do without your computer, spend the cash and buy on-site warranty. Doesn't matter whichever brand, if it goes to depot or repair shop, you're luck you get it back within a week.

I recommend all laptop users to do the same and not cry about it later. I've heard too many complains since I work at a shop that fixes Toshiba's. You do GET what you PAY for.

BTW, those Circuit City or store warranty plans are scams. Buy it from manufacturer (Like Toshiba) if you can. Buying warranty from store should be your last option.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
phinger23 said:
toshiba=shit i own one and holy hell did it take me a month to find a bitch at customre support that spoke english to fix my problem.
circuit shitty sucks. if you have an extended warranty, and its been in 3 times same problem=new laptop (lemon law type warranty)
yeah the guy said 3 times for the same parts i can get a review for a new laptop. the represenatives are nice but they warrenty places that fix it suck. the first place it sent it in was quick. thats cuz they were local, but the warrenty place wouldnt let me sent it there again when i demanded for it.

thanks for the heads up on toshiba. :) i wish i could just go with a desktop. haha.

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
which hp laptop? i've had mine for over a year and it's still goin strong...doing better then my college buddies computers(laptop/desktops) on some things...:dunno: maybe u just got the lucky one:D..glad i got a laptop tho..with wireless as the craze...but i would like to customize

i know a few toshiba and dell users and i'm glad i got a hp

just my 2cents tho:D

·
<----Just say NO to Drugs
1,621 Posts
i have a tosh, and a dell. my dell is a lot nicer, and my buddy has an hp that by the numbers is faster than mine.

both of my slower laptops are faster than his and one of them is identical in SW to his. im glad i didnt get the hp

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I've got a couple dozen HP laptops here at the bank and have zero issues with the things. The trick is to not buy a home system for business use...Pavilions are not well made, but the EVOs are.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by loserpunkx182

which hp laptop?

a pavalion ze4515, got it about a year ago. my boss has a 4700series i believe and her's crashed on her about 2 weeks before mine, and the circuit city didnt give her the reinstall disks so she had to buy then for 100 bucks.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Why is the extended warranty from a store a scam? I work at Circuit City, and it's helped a ton of people out...at least in car audio.

If they can't fix it, they give you a new one, and like the other guy said, if they send it out twice and it still has the same problem, they give you a comprable model. So it sounds like you should be getting a new laptop.

I didn't know manufacuters offered an extended warranty? But if they did, don't you still have to pay for shipping to them?

·
Semi-member
520 Posts
I didn't know manufacuters offered an extended warranty? But if they did, don't you still have to pay for shipping to them?
For most, yeah, you have to pay for shipping but the money you pay for the extended warranty is usually quite a bit less. I'd say....maybe $50 cheaper per every $150-$200?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Danny7633 said:
If your dell certified, you can order the parts and they overnight it to you, and you send the defective parts back. At least I do.
If you buy an HP/Compaq business class machine they do this for you wether you're certified or not, so long as the parts you need are on their end user replacable list...you'd be surprised whats on that list too...displays, motherboards, drives...most of the laptop component are on there. I've been working on these things for about 10 years now and I've never once sent a machine out for repair that was under warranty.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont think the warrenty part is a scam at all. just about the way they go about servicing your merchandise. The warrenty has helped me out cuz i would have to be paying out of my pocket right now, if it wasnt for that warrenty. But i dunno whats worse, paying for something to get fixed, or sending it in for the third time in 6 weeks for the same problem cuz the second time they didnt fix it and didnt repair any parts.

i have talked with a few employees at CC and best buy and they all say they will sent you out a new one if they cant fix it. the repair companies say they will repair it unless they cant but say that rarely happens. they will even repair LCD laptop screens without replacing the laptop. basically they will always fix it.

however, lemon law comes into play if i have to send it in once more. that will be 3 times for the same part. (logic board)

its just is a pain in my ass, more than anything.

·
4,020 Posts
Xtrema said:
If you can't do without your computer, spend the cash and buy on-site warranty. Doesn't matter whichever brand, if it goes to depot or repair shop, you're luck you get it back within a week.
Good luck finding a warranty shop that will do on-site repair on a notebook. Most won't even touch them unless its in clean room type idea.
On a side note, I had a Compaq notebook about 5 years ago. I went to turn it on one day and all it did was beep. So I called the extended warranty company. The shipped me the box, sent it out, and three days later the called me to tell me there was something wrong with the DIMM slots for the RAM (disconnect solder or something). The repair was going to take over 2 weeks to complete because they had to order new parts and they were on back order or something. Since it was going to take 2 weeks they just replaced the whole unit. I had a choice of 8 different notebooks, so I went with a newer Compaq. That one lasted about 3 years before I swapped it for a HP. I have had NO problems with my HP, however I did by the extended warranty, because I do realize how expensive and sometimes difficult notebook repairs can be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts