The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some great help from a member yesterday about HID problems. I think his suggestions may help for a while... But...

One more question: How does one get rid of the HID and switch to anything else? Is there a kit? I am even tempted to rig up the fixture and run a wire to a toggle switch with an inline fuse. Yes, I hate these things so bad. Give me a halogen any day. This may seem opposite of what most people do as the HIDs are better in brightness. I'll even buy a set of cheap used or aftermarket fixtures if necessary. Splice or does a conversion kit just plug in?

Anyone have any ideas?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
You will need to switch the headlight fixtures...post...maybe someone will take you up on a 1:1 swap HID for Halo....nobody has ever thought to build a halo bulb socket that fits a HID reflector socket ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Well, I may be the first. Dremel, Snap-On and other will be of assistance. Either that or an 8 pound hammer.

These things just got me aggravated. I don't know if the ballast I posted about yesterday was a defect or something is wrong in the car and I will be trying the things you suggested yesterday, but the place I bought it from is refusing an exchange no matter what. I was about 16 hours past the warranty.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Here's what I'm thinking...your dust cap wasn't closed...moisture got in and naturally settled to the bottom of the headlight housing, where, stupidly, the ballast is mounted. Even more stupidly, the top of the ballast appears to be open where the ignitor cable comes out, so any moisture swishing around in the back of the headlamp unit could make it's way into the ballast unit...and as most of us know, water and electricity don't mix. In many case, water plus electricity makes the magic smoke that powers your electronic devices come out (and then they stop working).

So, if you have the time to wait, you can get a new, cheap ballast unit from China here (<$40 shipped), swap your ignitor cable if they really come with the one shown in the picture and install. Heck, buy two.

I think I might just buy one as a spare...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea. I just ordered an extra. I have two extra bulbs. I have one on the way via overnight. We do not have vehicle inspections in SC and the cops are cool and understand things blow out, but if the same officer sees you and remembers you for a week or two you can kiss $65 to $120 good bye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts