The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is too general for car audio, if it is please just close this thread mods.

personally with me, i am constantly upgrading. i have had about 4 systems so far. i had one in my saturn that was pretty crappy....then i upgraded to some RF he2's. i liked these, and thought they were very loud. then that car got totaled and then i got the altima. i did things right this time, built it correctly and over time as to not rush into things...and yes it was loud, 140.9 db's...but it wasn't enough. i am currently redoing the low end because the high's i'm not too worried about. i just ujpgraded my subs and amp...i'm hoping to hit about 145. but i know not even this will be loud enough for me. i know people who can't sit in my car and can't deal with systems that loud, but i do not believe there is a system that can be called too loud for me. i mean yeah there is a point where you can't sit in the car...but i want that! so yeah...sorry i just felt like venting cuz i had a discussion with my friend about car audio today. he told me that my car was too loud and there is a point where doing audio stuff is pointless...i feel completely different.

·
2,446 Posts
Why don't you just stick a pin in your ear and get it over with? When you get a car that loud, it is not good for you at all. Those systems made to get so loud where you can't sit in it are not for people who want loud cars so they can sit in them. They do that purely for competitions, not for regular listening.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well if you plan on competing...then there is definitely a point. But if you just say you're planning on competing and never do, then I'd agree with your friend. As far as SPL goes it's pretty pointless in my eyes to see how loud you can get your daily driver just for show.

I think you should start entering competitions now (unless you already have) because I don't see how your friend could say it's pointless if you're doing something with it. It's just like saying it's pointless to spend a ton of money on golf clubs when you're entering tournaments in the PGA.

I think it's pointless to see how loud you can get if you're not trying to win any comps...but on the other hand, anything that you enjoy doing and makes you happy is never pointless.

note: I don't like golf but it was the first analogy to come to mind

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
i dont know about yall but car audio is a hobby for me, but i would like to make a job out of it, so i could like my job....

anyone MECP certified?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Media, I'm not MECP certified but I do have the study guide and have been considering it for a while now. What kind of job are you looking to have? Are you looking at down the road working as an engineer? or just working as an installer?

I've heard this discussion many times and almost everybody says that if you like car audio, you should keep it as a hobby. Because as soon as it turns into a job you will start to dislike it. I'm not following that advice, and I'm not saying you should, but I'm just passing on what others have said. If you want to talk more about this stuff you should start another thread so we don't whore this guys:)

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm gonna eventually try and get a job doing demo vehicles (planning them out) for company's). no i ahven't started competing yet...but i have been in college and only have my car every 3 or 4 weeks for a weekend when i go home. over the summer i shall try to get started. and it is also a hobby for me.

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and also i'm not in it JUST for spl...i also have great high's. my peeve is people who do like 4 12's but have like...stock high's o something cheap and not amplified. i'm still planning on upgrading my hi's by doing custom kick's with m6 components with about 100 rms on each speaker. right now my high's are diamond m3i's amped by a 40x4 amp.

·
14,455 Posts
I'm all about sq. I rarely ever turn my system up loud. I just want a good sounding system for a broad variety of music (kinda tough to do). My alty sounds pretty good, btu the next car i get, whenever that is, i'm going to change some things...

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nah but i'm about to soon hit up some meca competitions and see how they go...then if things go well i'll join and start doing a lot of their competitions. and i'm gonna go do a few dbdrag's when we get them...but they don't come here too often

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, what really sucks is the way the classes are, i just barely make it into the 651-1000 class...it's not watts it's some other measurement they do with total power and woofers and woofer size...forgot exactly what it is but i'm at like 664 or something like that.

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
^that sux......u gotta go against people with1000w

·
2,446 Posts
Also, I think you can bring your car to a car audio shop and they can probably meter it for you. Just so you get an idea of what your system is capable of.

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gavin i've been metered at 141 with my old setup but my new set up is not currently finished...and actually i'm pushing about 1250 rms to the subs...they go by a pressure level thing...not power...and media lab it all depends on what comps you go to...oh..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts