The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a ?? about my check engine light...(1994 gxe 5spd 140,000miles)...i have a code 32....egr valve not working......but i have NO SOLID CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on......well when im doing a STEADY 55-60 in 5th gear.....the check engine light comez on....(every now and then).....then i hit the gas accelerate to about 65....let off the gas enough to go back down to the steady 55-60 and on the way down to 55-60 it dissappearz and goez away....till the next time it decidez to pop on at the 55-60 mark.....i have a 4-1 header-k&n wai-straight though muffler and thatz it.......if my car sitz at idle and i push up under the egr valve it diez like it should....wat could be the problem???......iz there ANY WAY to check the EGR VALVE and EGR SOLENOID to ensure itz 100% functioning...thanx for ANY USEFUL....key word USEFUL info lol

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
go out to your car while it is idling and push on the diaphragm underneath the egr valve. if the car dies, the valve is good. gonna be another problem, like maybe a hole in a vacuum line or a leaking vacuum line... my car is doing the same exact shit right now, but i think mine is a loose line somewhere.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my egr iz fine.....i push up...car diez.......im goin out RIGHT now...ill let u know if i find the problem.......im thinking about takin the whole egr valve off check here later on today and ill post if i find nething

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
kewl, but you know, if its working when you push it, then obviously whats s'posed to happen is happening. the ONLY other thing i can think of is that maybe where the vacuum line hooks into is either bad or blocked. check the tightness and the firmness of all the lines in and around that area.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
i wont be able to find out until the head goes back on my car later on today. i need to find out too though, i have emissions this month.

·
The Minnesota Member
1,752 Posts
Well, I checked the vacuum hose connected to the EGR valve, and any other vacuum hose I could find near it, and everything seems to be connected properly, not cracked, etc. I cleared the ECM last night, and although the CEL was coming on while I was driving it down the street, it doesn't look like it stored anything. I checked the ECM this morning and it was flashing a 5-5 (everything functioning properly).

I started the car, gave it a little gas (enough for the CEL to come on and off periodically), then let it idle for a while while the CEL was solidly lit. I turned off the car, checked the ECM for codes, and it was still flashing a 5-5. What the hell is going on here? :confused:

I'm gonna take it out on a ~25 mile drive later tonight to see if I can get it to come on solid again, but this is really irking me. The only diagnostic code it's given me so far is 3-2 (malfunctioning EGR valve), but the EGR valve looks fine.

The only thing that confuses me is that the Haynes manual says the EGR valve should move by itself when the engine is idling and you give it a quick burst of throttle up to 2-3,000 RPM. That didn't happen. I had my hand on the underside of the EGR valve, but it didn't move when I opened the throttle and let off again. :angry4:

Anyway, have either of you guys had any progress thus far? :confused:

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
i wonder if that other diaphragm looking thing is like an actuator... ask rev or shawn... im about to.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
94all-t-ma said:
my egr iz fine.....i push up...car diez.......im goin out RIGHT now...ill let u know if i find the problem.......im thinking about takin the whole egr valve off check here later on today and ill post if i find nething

Could be the egr accuator that is failing. The egr itself might be good but the computer is unable to control the egr...just a thought. Test test test.

·
projected member
919 Posts
do a search. ive posted about this before. usually the exhaust port tube that goes to the bpt valve gets plugged up. (the round disc looking thing next to the egr valve). disconnect the hose at the bottom of the bpt valve and start the car. you should get some exhaust pressure. this pushes the diaphram closed to allowed vac. to the egr valve. if its blocked, take the metal line off and clean it out. also with the tube out, start the car again to make sure you get exhaust pressure. if you still dont, use a straightened paper clip and carb cleaner to try to clear it out.

·
The Minnesota Member
1,752 Posts
joehotrod said:
do a search. ive posted about this before. usually the exhaust port tube that goes to the bpt valve gets plugged up. (the round disc looking thing next to the egr valve). disconnect the hose at the bottom of the bpt valve and start the car. you should get some exhaust pressure. this pushes the diaphram closed to allowed vac. to the egr valve. if its blocked, take the metal line off and clean it out. also with the tube out, start the car again to make sure you get exhaust pressure. if you still dont, use a straightened paper clip and carb cleaner to try to clear it out.
WTF did you just say? :confused: :)

Sorry, it's been months since I've had to do actual work on a car (hey, that's the only thing my Honda was good for). Could you possibly clarify that at all? Have any references in the Haynes manual? Altima repair for Dummies? ;)

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ok u have your header or stock exhaust manifold at the front....and then the pipe that runz back around to your intake....about an inch thick...then it brakez off into a lil metal tube the size of a brake line....thatz wat he waz talkin about....i cleaned the metal tubing a while back...the lil pinhole waz clogged then but still fine to this day...i took the plastic piece off and took a screwdriver and jabbed all the carbon build up out of it today and so far no check engine light......bpt valve mite have not had any pressure to make the egr valve work.....so who knowz....check engine light will pry be on in a few dayz.....so ill keep posted.......mite have been that that lil tube waz clogged......alot of grimey soot came out of that.......so check the little metal tube and the little black tubing that connectz the metal tube to the (PANCAKE THINGY) bpt valve next to egr....

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well on my way back from walmart.....MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT POPPED ON AND THEN OFF .....55-60...accelerate to 65.....slow down to 55-60 .....away it goez.....so my hopez of fixing my problem were shot to shyt.......must be the bpt valve.....cuz i have cleaned all the carbon i can clean.......and if i blow into the bottom of the bpt valve (imitating exhaust pressure) then plug it so it stayz.....then blow threw the piping at the top should it be free flowing or should i blow and no air come from anywhere?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts