The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, my time has come to join the ka-t club and move forward with the turbo install. I am going to take the advantage of doing it now, since the Altima will be out of commission for some time while doing the repair work, plus, everything is in full plain view to do this work now (http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/general-nissan-altima-discussion-1993-2001/274496-narrowing-down-my-choices.html).

Going with tradition, I've created this thread to document the progress. The custom turbo kit setup is the one I purchased from ftnaltima
(http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/forced-induction-forum-turbo-sc-tuning-technical-only/268611-selling-turbo-kit.html).

Here are a few pictures on the bottom mount 'fit test'. With my untrained eyes this seems good to me so far. But need your comments on the things you feel needs to be addressed or taken special care of before plunging in too deep.

Front Views

Upper Right View

Left Views

Downpipe

Again, these are just some test fittings to see where I'll need to do some additional work.

On a separate note, I was planning on doing some work (and write-up) on the N/A ECU tuning side. Unfortunately, I was dealt a different fate - sorry folks but someone else is going to have to step up to the plate on that one. You'll get my unconditional support, if needed.

I welcome all your help. And you know my payment will be a thousand-fold to everyone that helps me along the way. Thanks. -js

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sweet and what part of VA do you live in?

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet and what part of VA do you live in?
I'm at the northern tip. Northern VA or NOVA, as they call it.

I'll likely post plenty of pictures and do some writeups like others have done with their projects. So y'all can see how this will evolve...and can catch my mistakes ahead of time. :)

·
Certified lunatic
1,822 Posts
God help us Jserrano has finally gone to boost. He's going to be like "hey guys I figured out how to cross these 4 wires, inject fuel straight into the turbo, and im making 783whp at 11psi." :D

What are the specs on that turbo anyway?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Nice work jserrano it looks like you have a long project ahead of you. Anyways I would just suggest Wrap your exhaust manifold and downpipe after final fitment plus invest in a turbo blanket.

Enjoy your project and good luck.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The compressor housing is a stock NISSAN and has a 45V2 stamped on it - appears to be off a Skyline RB25DET. The turbo specs should match that. Anyone with actual numbers please post them. I'll take some closeup pictures and measurements whenever I get another chance to do some more work.

This turbo has oil and water lines. I am still unclear on where to get the water feed and return from. I thinking of getting the water feed off the cold side of the radiator and to place the return on the hot side of the radiator. I will also need to pick up another actuator since the one on it is rigged up poorly and is also damaged.

If this is going to turn out to be like any of my other projects, I am pretty sure my write-ups are going to be in sections, with pictures, and with details on each component installed. The only things I will keep out off this thread are the ongoing body work because I already have a running thread elsewhere to describe that work.

I don't have any type of instant messaging. Just send me a PM or an email and I'll try to get back to you... Thanks for all your support!

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well since the fitment looked good I am officially starting the actual turbo install process. Here are a two things I've done so far.

Turbo Oil Feed

My turbo oil feed line kit looks similar to the one from JGS Precision Turbo. The ss line is about 4' long. The install is quite easy.

There are still some action items to do here. I'm writing this down for future reference.

1. There was a jet screw in this kit which I didn't connect at this time. I have to come back and do an oil pressure test on the turbo oil inlet to see if it is going to need it or a different sized one.

2. Plan to replace the oil pressure switch with an oil pressure gauge. Ace and others have done this and it is definitely more valueable to have than a simple pressure switch.

Turbo Manifold

This turbo manifold is of the tubular design type which accomodates a bottom mount turbo quite well. I ordered and installed a Cometic multi-layered manifold gasket from FRSport.com for it. Cometic MLS Multi Layer Steel Exhaust Manifold Gasket KA24DE

It just needs some heat wrap but that won't come 'til the later stages of this entire install. Everything here went very smooth. Nothing spectacular to write about...just a few pictures.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice setup, you can use the lines that go into the throttle body for the water feed on the turbo.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice setup, you can use the lines that go into the throttle body for the water feed on the turbo.
That is exactly was I had in mind...at first. Taking the water feed off of the throttle body->turbo water inlet->turbo water outlet->back over to throttle body pipe connecting to the thermostat housing.

But now I think I'm onto something which appears to be much better. Since my new radiator comes with a transmission oil cooler. Here is what I am thinking,

T off the water feed from the throttle body->tranny oil cooler inlet->tranny oil cooler outlet->turbo water inlet->turbo water outlet->water pump pipe drain plug. :brow: That should keep the turbo running much cooler. But, by how many degrees? :confused: At this point, I don't exactly know how adequate enough the tranny cooler is going to be. But this is something I am willing to try.

Any thoughts?

·
1.21 gigawatts
487 Posts
That is exactly was I had in mind...at first. Taking the water feed off of the throttle body->turbo water inlet->turbo water outlet->back over to throttle body pipe connecting to the thermostat housing.

But now I think I'm onto something which appears to be much better. Since my new radiator comes with a transmission oil cooler. Here is what I am thinking,

T off the water feed from the throttle body->tranny oil cooler inlet->tranny oil cooler outlet->turbo water inlet->turbo water outlet->water pump pipe drain plug. :brow: That should keep the turbo running much cooler. But, by how many degrees? :confused: At this point, I don't exactly know how adequate enough the tranny cooler is going to be. But this is something I am willing to try.

Any thoughts?
Seems a bit much, too many paths for the water to be carried. If you got a higher flow water pump, it may have enough juice to push that water through a system that complex--the stock one may not have enough "umph".

·
1.21 gigawatts
487 Posts
What are you going to do about the EGR system? Are you going for an egr delete?
Not to thread-jack or be a post-whore but funny you ask...

We're having a heavy debate on a DSM forum (dsmtalk.com) on the pros and cons of the egr delete. I'm actually doing a full emissions removal on my eclipse this weekend--plugging up all lines and the egr valve. Many people have done it without any ill effects yet some seem to believe it's not a great idea. All I know is, all those vacuum lines are cluttering up the engine bay and I don't like the idea of putting burnt fuel/air back into the combustion chamber.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
its not supposed to be "burnt" air though - the point is it is supposed to be unburnt gasses being burned the 2nd time thru. i ran no egr on my v8 and it was tons less problems on my truck. my turbo altima has the egr deleted as well. runs smooth as a top. stinks though since theres no egr or cat.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What are you going to do about the EGR system? Are you going for an egr delete?
I know I need this car for the streets, so the EGR system MUST be in place to pass emissions. The EGR is there to hold down NOx emissions. But if I can pass emissions without it being connected then I'll leave it deleted or disabled, since I'm within emissions limit.

So I am going to do some 15mph/25mph emissions tests, before I receive that official state emissions notification, and see what can be done to get this car street ready. I'm kind of interested in knowing this myself. Will keep you all posted when I get to that bridge.

·
Rippen RJ
2,855 Posts
Wish it was like that in California, I'd fail as soon as they popped the hood and saw a turbo...

1 - 20 of 235 Posts