The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lord of the rims
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw a nail in my left rear tire, i tried to get it out but it stuck in there pretty tight and i scare that the air will leak if i loosen it..
should I:
a)just leave it there
b)get it fixed at some tireshop

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
leave it in there and take it to a tire repair shop, never try pulling a nail out of a tire, it changes from being a slow or nonexistant leak into a rapid leak...

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I usually pull it out if it's just straight through and not @ an angle. then use some of that hole plugging stuff. Works well for me. Whatever you do, don't get any liquid hole plugging junk.
Jay

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
imo tire plugs are awful

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Where is the nail located at? Is it in the sidewall or near the sidewall if so u out of luck, u will have to buy a new tire cause that is the area that will not work if you patch it!
-Smacko

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Lucky, those ones can be fixed, i didnt have that luck:(
-smacko

·
Registered
969 Posts
if your still looking for an answer....

bring the tire to the shop and get what is called a vulcanized patch (no joke, that's the name)

what they do is take the tire off the rim, and rough up the spot on the inside (after they take out the nail) and smear some goupey stuff on there... leave taht for a min, and then put a patch on it... tire is as good as new!!!! trust me...

something in that goup melts the rubber together... kinda like welding metal, but this time it's rubber...

costs about 10-15 for the patch and remounting...

l8a

·
Kawasaki Ownz
441 Posts
i have the same problem on the rear left also, but i am not touchin it. the tire does not leak now and i figure if i watch it i am all good. right? why should i spend time and money to get it fixed if it is not really hurtin anything...but that JMO.

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Danger lurking....

Never drive on a tire with a nail stuck in it for very long. I did this and the nail decided to come out on its own when I was travelling at 75 mph on the freeway. At the time I owned a 77 LTD (thank god not an Explorer) and the nail that I knew was in the tire, decided to come out of the passenger rear tire. The car started to sway then I spun a 360 into the emergency lane. I was lucky noone was near me. The rim was trashed beyond repair since the tire was ripped off it and it dug a 2" deep strip of asphault out of the interstate. Everything turned out alright, but I learned a valuable lesson.

I hope you don't have to learn the same one.

Randy

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Get out the duct tape... Just playing.

If you bought your tires from a local shop, just take it there and they will probably fix it for free. Dont pull it out unless you want a flat.

·
Lord of the rims
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
INDYALTY said:
But duct tape fixes everything!

:D

anyways, i just got it fixed at some tire shop around my house
and the idiot scrarch my rims when he screw it back on, his power screw driver's extenison was too close to the rim
fucking idiot
now i have 3 little scratches around my screws..
fuck

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a nail stuck in my tire for like 2 weeks, but nothing much happened. The air didn't even leak. I suggest that you just bring it to the tire shop, it's less than $10 to fix anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts