The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Remember Me?
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a real nasty odor whenever I kick it down to pass another car....anyone else get the same....??

·
Remember Me?
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ILXLR8B4U said:
I get a real nasty odor whenever I kick it down to pass another car....anyone else get the same....??

And its not me .....it smells like the cats overloading or something...... :D

·
sardonic patron
24 Posts
could it be...

...some part of your car scraping against the ground? LOL!!!

Seriously, I had a funny smell at first, maybe some kind of paint or other material burning off the drivetrain.:p

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Usually that smell comes from a clogged convertor on a high-mileage car. I suppose yours may be defective in some way. How many miles do you have? My odors went away within a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same Thing....

I got the same smell last week after getting the car up to 125 mph. As soon as I backed off it to about 90, I got the same rotten eggs smell. I smelled that aroma twice that day, but not since.....except for when I had chinese for lunch today but that was still a little bit of a different smell! :D BTW, I had about 2200 miles on the car about that time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have noticed this on my car also, only under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can describe the burnt clutch smell after I drove a 3.5 at my dealer then bought the other one with only 2 miles on it!:D

·
I have too many hobbies..
36 Posts
Not sure how many miles you have on your car but it could be coming from the headers. I've modded several hondas and acuras and noticed the first thing after adding a new header is a certain smell as the heat sort of burns them in. They change from the grey to the brown color.

I just bought my Altima and am braking it in.. after about 1000 miles I'll drive it a bit harder and see if I get the same smell. So far I'm a Nissan convert. I traded my V6 Accord for my new 3.5 and am loving it. I'm just hoping the parts are as plentiful as they were for the Honda/Acuras.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
2,228 Posts
HMMMM

Well boys..the answer to your question is indeed the cat. I replaced mine with a high flow and the smell vanished without a trace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get the exact same rotten egg smell. It's pretty bad at times. Happens at all sorts of random times but seems to happen most after running the engine hard and then dropping down to idle.

It's definately not the clutch or the regular melting plastic smell that most cars have for the first couple hundred miles.

I'll get the dealer to check it out. My list of items to check out is growing...

·
1,333 Posts
Thank God! I thought I was the only one who stinks.

·
Remember Me?
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Burner said:
I get the exact same rotten egg smell. It's pretty bad at times. Happens at all sorts of random times but seems to happen most after running the engine hard and then dropping down to idle.

It's definately not the clutch or the regular melting plastic smell that most cars have for the first couple hundred miles.

I'll get the dealer to check it out. My list of items to check out is growing...

Where did you buy the hi-flo cats?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts