The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters 2003 Altima 2.5 engine is shot due to the pre-cat failure issue. Does anyone have experience with these JDM used engines?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,710 Posts
Probably in better shape than anything local. The Japanese emissions control are very strict and it doesn't take more than a few years for an engine to fall out of the approved emissions level. I'd be willing to bet on an engine that somone took the trouble to take out, crate and ship halfway around the world, over something out of my local wrecker's yard.

What kind of warranty is being offered?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same issue. In the process of taking out the engine now. I plan on using the 2.0L replacement engine. They assured me that many have done the swap and there are no issues. Have to use my intake and exhaust manifold and thread 3 holes on the block. Here is some work in progress pics. I'm getting the JDM engine from local dist. for $450. Don't mind the lower power and will probably get better mileage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do not re-use your old exhaust manifold as the pre-cat failure caused your engine damage. Please keep us updated on your engine swap.

·
6,710 Posts
Do not re-use your old exhaust manifold as the pre-cat failure caused your engine damage. Please keep us updated on your engine swap.
Manifold should be okay, it's the precat bolted directly below it that you want to bury in the backyard...and replace with something hollow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Manifold should be okay, it's the precat bolted directly below it that you want to bury in the backyard...and replace with something hollow.
My Pre-Cat is a welded part of the exhaust manifold. I am looking at yours in your picture and it is the same. The four header tubes collect/join at the pre-cat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Pre-Cat is a welded part of the exhaust manifold. I am looking at yours in your picture and it is the same. The four header tubes collect/join at the pre-cat.
BTW.. are you pulling the axles and taking the engine out with the transmission? Or, dropping the entire drivetrain from underneath?

·
6,710 Posts
Maybe my bad... Then just attack the cat from the lower tube with big steel and extreme prejudice and gut the contents into a handy garbage pail...

·
DIY altima Resto Mod
499 Posts
Yup. Put the cat material in a plastic bag, or a garbage pail. You don't need the steel manifold to scrap the cat. If you do plan to get the cat material out, I suggest a large 1/2" drive socket with an extension attached, and hammer the cat material out.

If your slick enough, put in a Lil scrap steel or something like that, because they will just wiegh the plastic bag.

:) I may or may not have done this :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went and picked up the Engine. Surprised on how good of a condition it is in. Guy claimed that all these engines have 45K-55K and it looks it. Took the opportunity to clean the engine and engine bay. It looks identical but will have to tap 3-holes. The holes are there and just need to be tapped. Here are a few pics of the new engine. It looks so good that I will use all the sensor that it came with. Can I use an aftermarket cat? Need to use a cat for emission requirements.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A quick update.

There is three holes that need to be threaded.

One by the starter on bell housing mount area.

Two more at the rear upper motor mount bracket.
These have holes already drilled but they need to be enlarged.

Here are some before and after pics.

I didn't have the correct tap so I used a poor man's tap which is
basically a bolt tapered on the end with a slot cut through it. See pic.
Since it was aluminum it was rather easy but care must be take as it is the block your messing with.

I just have to transfer the intake and it's ready to go back in..

Dave..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went and picked up the Engine. Surprised on how good of a condition it is in. Guy claimed that all these engines have 45K-55K and it looks it. Took the opportunity to clean the engine and engine bay. It looks identical but will have to tap 3-holes. The holes are there and just need to be tapped. Here are a few pics of the new engine. It looks so good that I will use all the sensor that it came with. Can I use an aftermarket cat? Need to use a cat for emission requirements.
Looks like your new motor came with a Pre-Cat. Which JDM vendor did you get this motor from?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finished up the engine install.
Got the engine from a local dist. in LongIsland. He had 100's of engine's neatly stacked on pallets on shelf's, 8 stacked high. It also seems that the engines were all stored indoors as there is no sign's of weather deterioration.

Everything went together OK.

Yes, It came with the pre-cat but I opted to use an aftermarket cat. I was not going to take a chance with the OEM cat's even though it is fully intact inside.

Had to use the original thermostat housing as my original intake needed water lines to the throttle body and the 2.0L engine did not have them. Also swapped the flex wheel. Used all sensors that came with the 2.0L and all connectors matched up. Check them before you install the engine as some are very hard to get to afterwards.

Made a mistake about one of the drilling location on one hole. The hole that needs to be tapped is the left most hole on the engine to bell housing. See my pic, it's the one that has not been threaded. I opted not to tap it as I felt it was too close to the block. Instead I tapped an oversize bolt on the starter housing. It's the long bolt that mounts the starter to the bell to the block. Worked out great with no problems.

The Engine runs fantastic. I believe it to have low miles <60K and it shows. No leaks or otherwise. No abnormal noises etc.. I'm glad I went this route.. I'm very happy with the overall swap and no "check engine Light"

The power loss is negligible. Very little difference as far as I can tell. I put about 15 miles on it and my daughter took it to college today. She will add another 80miles to it.
All is Good.

Signing out.
Dave..

PS- off to my next project. Pressure wash the house siding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dave,

Mind sharing your source? I've been seeing these being sold (2.0) and the companies say they are drop in. There is very little information on these swaps. I googled and pretty much people are saying that they are not compatible, while the companies say they do. They are way cheaper and seem better than the QR25s.

I've swapped a handful of engines, and confident I can do this. So all you are saying is I have to tap 3 holes for the starter? Axles and everything else work?? Your post seems like most things are plug and play or just swap from the old motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had to use my intake manifold and water heater tube as the my intake needed water plumed to the throttle body and the 2.0L did not. Also, swapped the flexplate, thermostat housing, and I ordered an aftermarket precat manifold assembly as I did not trust the OEM cat even though the 2.0 came with an intact cat. Paid $450 for engine and $199 for cat. I used all the accessories that came with the 2.0 as it seemed to be in much better shape than mine ie, alternator, p/s, etc.. It's a drop in fit. I left the tranny in the car and took only the engine out the top. All the wiring and sensors are a direct fit and didn't have to mess with any of it. No check engine light and running strong. Daughter uses it daily for college and that's a 80 mile round trip. Just checked the oil and it's still looks fresh and didn't burn a drop. It is the same block and heads that were bored out to a 2.0L or a 2.5L.

·
Registered
93 Posts
great job on your swap dave for the price that is really cost effective. I went to the junkyards here and all the engines were either taken right away or complete crap high mileage. and access to jdm engines were on ebay and dont feel comfortable going that way.

should last you many miles and plus you can make your money back if you sell it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to use my intake manifold and water heater tube as the my intake needed water plumed to the throttle body and the 2.0L did not. Also, swapped the flexplate, thermostat housing, and I ordered an aftermarket precat manifold assembly as I did not trust the OEM cat even though the 2.0 came with an intact cat. Paid $450 for engine and $199 for cat. I used all the accessories that came with the 2.0 as it seemed to be in much better shape than mine ie, alternator, p/s, etc.. It's a drop in fit. I left the tranny in the car and took only the engine out the top. All the wiring and sensors are a direct fit and didn't have to mess with any of it. No check engine light and running strong. Daughter uses it daily for college and that's a 80 mile round trip. Just checked the oil and it's still looks fresh and didn't burn a drop. It is the same block and heads that were bored out to a 2.0L or a 2.5L.
Any updates? I was wondering how the JDM engine is running.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just drove my daughter car yesterday. It's got 1600 miles on it so far without a hint of problems. Very very satisfied with the motor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts