The Nissan Club banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a JDM 2.0 arriving tomorrow. I guess I will just start looking under the hood and taking things off. The manual says to drop it from the bottom. Kinda hard without a lift.

I'm thinking it would be easier to pull the engine out with the trans??? But I see the OP left the trans in...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kevin, Who did you order your JDM engine from? And, my I ask the cost?

Mike
Nissan Sentra Ser Altima JDM QR20DE 2 0 Engine Motor QR20 de QR25 de Replacement | eBay

jdmenginecorp on ebay. It was $400 + $285 freight to Nevada. Ordered it on Friday, and it went out Monday. It arrived Wed!! Or maybe Thurs but impressed nonetheless. Freight is calculated depending on where you live. Engine came from Texas.

The engine looks very clean in way better shape than the one that is in there now.

I'll be starting to take out the old one this Thursday. Not sure if I'm going to pull the trans as well or just leave it in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same issue. In the process of taking out the engine now. I plan on using the 2.0L replacement engine. They assured me that many have done the swap and there are no issues. Have to use my intake and exhaust manifold and thread 3 holes on the block. Here is some work in progress pics. I'm getting the JDM engine from local dist. for $450. Don't mind the lower power and will probably get better mileage.
My 03 altima is giving out on me as well. How long was it before it gave out completely? And u got the engine for 450 !?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Kevin, My Pre-Cat in the exhaust manifold is what caused my engine failure. The cat failed allowing catalytic material to get into the cylinders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My I ask where you procured that self tapping bolt? I screwed up and did not tap the hole for the large starter bolt. Now the motor is in and all hooked up. I sure do not want to pull the motor again!

Thanks

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,710 Posts
My I ask where you procured that self tapping bolt? I screwed up and did not tap the hole for the large starter bolt. Now the motor is in and all hooked up. I sure do not want to pull the motor again!

Thanks
I believe he called it 'a poor man's tap' B)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did the same thing. Installed the engine and then realized I didn't tap the long starter bolt so I only used the one bolt on the starter. Since It kinda fits in a sleeve and is pretty secure I let it go and it hasn't given any problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Done! Thanks to everyone on this site that helped me out. The 2.0 JDM engine runs like a top.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Quick update. I found that the cat after the pre-cat was fouled with oil from the blown motor, severly restricting the exhaust flow. I corrected that problem and the car runs like new.
Thanks again to everyone for there help with this engine swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finished up the engine install.
Got the engine from a local dist. in LongIsland. He had 100's of engine's neatly stacked on pallets on shelf's, 8 stacked high. It also seems that the engines were all stored indoors as there is no sign's of weather deterioration.

Everything went together OK.

Yes, It came with the pre-cat but I opted to use an aftermarket cat. I was not going to take a chance with the OEM cat's even though it is fully intact inside.

Had to use the original thermostat housing as my original intake needed water lines to the throttle body and the 2.0L engine did not have them. Also swapped the flex wheel. Used all sensors that came with the 2.0L and all connectors matched up. Check them before you install the engine as some are very hard to get to afterwards.

Made a mistake about one of the drilling location on one hole. The hole that needs to be tapped is the left most hole on the engine to bell housing. See my pic, it's the one that has not been threaded. I opted not to tap it as I felt it was too close to the block. Instead I tapped an oversize bolt on the starter housing. It's the long bolt that mounts the starter to the bell to the block. Worked out great with no problems.

The Engine runs fantastic. I believe it to have low miles <60K and it shows. No leaks or otherwise. No abnormal noises etc.. I'm glad I went this route.. I'm very happy with the overall swap and no "check engine Light"

The power loss is negligible. Very little difference as far as I can tell. I put about 15 miles on it and my daughter took it to college today. She will add another 80miles to it.
All is Good.

Signing out.
Dave..

PS- off to my next project. Pressure wash the house siding.
Dave its been a year later and im wondering if you could update me. Im thinking of doing a qr25de replacement myself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just finished swapping the 2.5 engine out for a 2.0, it works like a charm, really not a lot of problems. I pulled the engine out the top of the car with the transmission attached. You will need to drain the oil first because you will need to pull the oil filter to clear the frame. I pulled the intake manifold which made it easier to get to all the things behind the engine.

Hook the chain on the motor so the front of the engine will be at a pretty good angle, front being higher. Twist the front of the engine toward the front of the car and it will come out really easy.

I also forgot to drill and tap the hole for the starter bolt after installing the engine. With the motor in the car I drilled the hole out through the bell housing hole then I used a socket that fit the tap and used a short extension and tapped the hole with everything in place, worked like a charm, photo below.

The only problem was I could not get the engine to fire up after installing it. I thought the ECM was dead but all it needed was resetting. A friend came out and while the key was on, he pulled a fuse under the driver's side dash, plugged the fuse back in and it fired right up.

I did gut the cat and used it back on the car, I am now at the point of installing the spacers for the O2 sensor today as it is spitting a code.

This was an easy engine swap, with the help of of the the fantastic members here. If I, being a 74 year old, can do this swap by myself, you can too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. In the process of taking out the engine now. I plan on using the 2.0L replacement engine. They assured me that many have done the swap and there are no issues. Have to use my intake and exhaust manifold and thread 3 holes on the block. Here is some work in progress pics. I'm getting the JDM engine from local dist. for $450. Don't mind the lower power and will probably get better mileage.
Hlo so in that case a 2.0 is more advisable cuz I'm also thinking of getting a new motor for my 2005 altima 2.5 sl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pics please

21 - 36 of 36 Posts