The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight when i went to start the car it was just clicking, everything else was ok but then i remembered that i read a while back something about slamming the shift onto park and i did that and it started ok, can anyone please tell me whats about to go wrong?

thanx in advance

p.s. btw tonight was the first time that it happened

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah, i got the same problem right now. this morning it was ok. i got to walmart, mcdonalds and back home without any problems at all. but when i was trying to start the car again this afternoon (4pm EST) it wont start. everytime i turn the keys all i hear is this clicking sound. i got an altima 93 manual.

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
I got that clicking when my battery was ****ed up. swapped battery and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 1998 Altima GLE. I thought it was the starter so I had the starter replaced but then it happened again so the next time the guy came out he brought a starter-testing device and tested the started with success. He took off both battery terminals, used sandpaper to clean them up real well, connected everything back together, tightened them well and 20,000 miles later, NO PROBLEMS! Whoo-hooo!

-Chris

·
Registered
674 Posts
Automatic tranny

My vehicle only starts in Park or Neutral.
My GF never can get it to start in park after she drives it.

Pretty simple solution, make sure you put shifter into park and make sure that it is in park.

The shifter linkage or switch might need looking into if problem persists and you believe that you're competent enough to put vehicle in park all the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you please be more specific? I think there are others including me who don't really get what you mean by your vague statement "just hit the shifter into park and it shoul work"

First of all, most shifters are in park already!,

Do you mean hit the shifter with a hammer while in park?

Do you mean slide the Shifter into Neutral then hit it with a hammer till it goes into park?

Do you mean slide the shifter into neutral then quickly into park?

Do you mean slide the shifter into neutral then quickly into park while turning the key to start it...

HELP!!! We're not all Nissan engineers or car mechanics here! :)

-Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts