The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.....I am trying to put my rear caliper back on my '93 SE....although turning the piston clockwise is making it go back into its bore, I'm concerned about 2 things

#1 the rubber sleeve around the piston is twisted AS HELL...is that normal??????? It must be stuck to the metal at the front edge of the piston or something...but it is sticking out PAST the end of the piston and is making contact with the brake pad now

#2 I don't know if I have the piston far enough in, because I literally have to use a rubber sledge to get the caliper over the disk/pads, and the hole for the pins aren't lining up properly...it's seems as though there is a LOT of pressure thrying to torque the whole caliper assembly in the wrong direction, as though the hoses were really twisted, which they are NOT

If it's THAT DIFFICULT to get the caliper on...won't the brakes be seized anyways once I get the pins back in??????

PLEASE HELP, I'm leavign to drive 2 hours back to Montreal this evening, got work early tomorrow morning, so going to a garage is out of the question.

G

·
The rubber boot on mine did look all twisted and squished, but it didn't touch the pad. The pad is always going to touch the rotor, but you shouldn't have to use a hammer to get it on. My guess is that maybe you aren't getting the pads in properly (they were a bitch to keep in place, its kind ok a 3 handed job), or maybe they sold you the wrong pads. I hope you are able to figure it out, I'll be online for a bit if you have any more questions.

Demmy

·
ASE certified wiseass
214 Posts
The boot can twist a little, but it shouldn't extend beyond the face of the piston. You do have the parking brake fully released, right? The boot should be able to spin on the end to prevent the rubber twisting problem if it doesn't you should figure out why. You do have the cover off the brake MC fluid so the pressure can get back out.

It should go on, but it might be a bit tight. If worse comes to worse, you can grind the pads down a bit to get them on.

Randy

G

·
Oh yeah, thats important. Make sure you have the lid off the brake fluid resevoir. And make sure it doesn't overflow, or you can kiss any paint it touches goodbye.

Demmy

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses...what I eventually did was put white grease around the inside edge of the boot.....this made it straighten out when i unscrewed the piston, and later screwed it back in. :) thanks again, especially Demmy *kiss* ;)

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
:confused:The pistons "screw" in? I've always just used a C-Clamp to get the piston back into the caliper.

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
PT said:
:confused:The pistons "screw" in? I've always just used a C-Clamp to get the piston back into the caliper.
That's what I thought, until I looked at the Haynes for rear disc. Holy fuck - there are no fewer than 52 pictures to show the sequence! What the hell were they thinking?

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
kierandill said:

That's what I thought, until I looked at the Haynes for rear disc. Holy fuck - there are no fewer than 52 pictures to show the sequence! What the hell were they thinking?
Ooops. So you're SUPPOSED to "screw" it in? Heh Heh. I've been doing it all wrong. :D

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PT said:

Ooops. So you're SUPPOSED to "screw" it in? Heh Heh. I've been doing it all wrong. :D
You do realize we're talking about REAR calipers right? I tried clamping mine in first too...but it was impossible....you actually managed to squeeze the REARS back in???:confused:

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
Oh! Rears!!! Heh Heh. I have drums in the rear. :D

Well that's retarded! You have to "screw" them in!!?? That's just another example of my theory that Nissan Engineers smoke pot while they design certain things... like the rear-end of a 2nd-Gen. :p And the retarded-shaped rear-seat pass-through.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
i'm confused as heck...are we talking discs or drums?
Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts