The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2002 Altima 2.5 S that needs some work.

173,000 miles and the Engine and Trans are great.

Started off needing a power steering pump and a flex pipe on the exhaust.
So I drove it home and the next day the serpentine belt broke and the car overheated. luckily i pulled it over after about 30 seconds, it did spew some antifreeze out but not much. Put a new belt on and the power steering pulley is badly damaged making the car not drivable but it remains able to start and everything.

Yesterday, 8-8-19, spend 7 hours putting a new Power Steering Pump and pulley on. I changed the oil and Air Filter and replaced the serpentine belt again with a brand new one. All goes well. no noises, no leaks. all good... with the exception of the flex pipe leak.

Today, I was driving it, the flex pipe still not replaced, and all is going great. I stop, run in a store, come and notice the ABS, BRAKE and BATTERY Icon lights are lite up on the dash. So I checked the belt, no over heating and chalk it up to the damaged sensor on the power steering pump.

about an hour later I'm driving about 30 mph and go to hit the gas and no accelaration. Its cruising and Idleing like normal but absolutely no power when i hit the gas. so I pull over and put it in park and rev the engine and it revs with no hesitation. So I turn it off for a minute and go to start it back up and it wont turn over. Clicking but wont start.

I get a jump start and Start driving again and it the same thing. I drive for about 20 seconds and the power just goes away and now the lights on the dash start flickering and it completely dies. My friend helps me check it over and we checked the Alternator clip and wires and decide to replace it... 2 hours later, wire cut, crimped and plugged back in and the car makes it about a minute this time. Pulled it over and parked it.

Now I'm concerned, could this has to do with the Alternator, or does it have to do with the flex pipe?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If you discharged the battery too low to run right then the alt cannot charge, and likely to take several hours to come back up anyway. Using the new alt to fully charge a dead battery is the best way to ruin the new alt there is, read the alt paperwork, it will void warranty on alt doing that.

You MUST fully recharge the battery FIRST if it gets run down dead and you install a new alt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would say the flexpipe is not related.
Sounds like the alternator is not putting out.
As electrical loads are increased it will kill the battery much quicker without the alternator putting out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the battery today. It started right up and ran properly on 3 seperate trips over the course of 8 hours. The battery icon, ABS and BRAKE warning lights are still on though... Checked the codes and it came up with the code for the Coolant Temp Sensor...

Either way it started, stayed strong and didnt revert back to the "limp mode" it kept getting stuck in when I origanally posted.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
If the battery light is on, that usually means alternator not charging as soapmyoaster indicated above. Check the voltage while running...you want to see about 14.4V...if not, when your 'new' battery runs down...you'll be back in trouble again.

That whole 'suddenly no power' thing...read my alternator thread (in my .sig below), first post...deja vu my friend.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I still lean toward charging issue. If it is you will kill the battery. You need to know what the charging voltage is.
Drive it with the headlights and air on, that will answer pretty quickly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts