The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Altima won't start. I'm thinking it's the starter. It's got a 2 week old Die Hard in it. It's not turning over at all. Power and everything is fine, car just won't start. Any ideas? How hard is it to replace a starter and how much do they go for? Please help me out.:(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Same thing happened to my fiance's car last week... in her case though it was the battery, it was only cranking 10 volts so she needed a jumpstart to get going... but everything else appeared fine (lights inside the car where coming on just fine cause the battery had just enough juice for that but not enough for a start).. even though you have a new battery I would still get it tested, take it to any mechanic and they car run a quick test on it just to be sure..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot Peterson, I figured that what it probably is. I'm gonna get my boy to pick me up so I can go home and get my
SE-R then make a pep boys run. Again, thanks for the help.:)

·
22,052 Posts
Most definitely. One thing, did you replace the battery recently cuz it was dead? You said the battery was sorta new. If the battery was dead, it might be the alternator killing the battery, and you don't have enough power to turn the starter. I'd try jumping the car first, just to be sure. But if it doesn't start, or even click, after a good jump, then swap out the starter.

Best of luck.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
now isn't it if it clicks.. its the starter. If it doesn't do jack or whirwhirwhir then its the battery (possibly due to a bad alternator)

that's how I always guaged it...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore. Car would run fine until it was turned off. Once it was shut off it wouldn't start back up. But the alternator was tested and supposedly it was fine (2 weeks ago anyway). Thanks for all the help.

·
22,052 Posts
I would still try to jump it first.

If you hear clicking, it's usually the battery. That's the starter trying to move with a small amount of power. If you hear nothing, then the battery is either too low, or the starter is gone.

Since the battery died recently, I'd check out the alternator, or have the voltage on the battery checked. Just because lights come on and all that doesn't mean the battery is ok.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a similar problem, hope I can get some help. In the morning, and when i let my car sit for a long time, my car will kinda die on me as I try to turn it on, in order for me to turn it on, i have to turn the key and hold it and pump the gas at the same time. it turns on after like 10 seconds or so of doing this. Everything works fine as i do it. My A/C works, so does my stereo and all the lights on the dash. Any help would be grealty appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Peterson said:
Pumpimg the gas isn't really going to help a fuel injected car. That was mainly for carb. engines.
I hear what your saying but thats the way that i turn my car on in the mornings. Just tarted doing it to on Tuesday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts