The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R with ~70K miles. Lately, this car has been a bit of a headache and I want to get it fixed up so it's reliable again. That being said, I'm turning to this forum to help me to diagnose my issues, estimate cost and effort to do it on my own, and risk/complexity of the fix.

About a month ago, I had a ball bearing completely snap which resulted in a snapped axle, costing me $800 after parts/labor/towing. Luckily it happened in my work's parking lot so no one got hurt, but still an unpleasant experience.

Anyways, that is in the past. Here is a list of issues I am trying to tackle now:

Oil Pressure Light
The oil pressure light recently came on and I noticed my gauge no longer works when the car is on, it just stays at 0. The gauge is not stuck because when I start the car, the gauge does a full up/down as it normally does along with the G-gauge. I double checked the oil and the levels are good, car drives normally, so I suspect this is a faulty Oil Pressure switch as others have noted on this forum.

I am however, having two problems.
1. I can't find a picture/walkthrough/guide on where to locate this sensor. I have read its by the oil pan and takes only 20 min to change, but I want to make sure that is true.

2. Should I buy this part from Nissan directly or can someone link the part from rockauto or some other site?

TPMS
The light is always on, regardless of tire pressure. I have inflated all tires to 35 PSI, drove for 20 minutes, and nothing changed. I would like to clear my dash of all lights but the TPMS will not go away. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Engine stuttering
In the past month, the car has begun to stutter at low RPMs and sometimes at idle. No SES/CEL on the dash and the stuttering is random, and short. It is not violent and most of the time I experience it when speeding up, typically around 15-40 mph, at low RPMs. I suspect this is probably a clogged fuel filter and/or failing fuel pump. The spark plugs/wires were replaced 10,000 miles ago, and a leaking valve cover was completely replaced at the same time too. Any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

Windshield sprayers do not work
These randomly stopped working about 2 months ago. They are not clogged and I do not hear any noise from a motor when the sprayers are engaged, so I suspect the motor has burned. I cannot find where the windshield washer pump/motor is located and how to diagnose which part is broken, so I wanted to get some insight on this and how complex it can be to fix. The pump seems to be a relatively cheap part on rockauto, but I'm not sure if I should buy it there or directly from the dealer.

I want to thank you in advance for any assistance around my issues. I don't work on my car often but I find myself to be a capable guy so I wouldn't mind fixing all of these issues myself, assuming that they aren't the most complex things to do on my own.

Cheers.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
1. Most likely the oil pressure sensor or the wiring attached to it is done. Aftermarket parts are just fine.
2. TPMS light...most likely you just have one or more sensors that are done, battery is dead and sensor is no longer reporting. You probably don't want to invest in new sensors, so learn to deal with it (or tape over the light). It is illegal in the US to tamper with TPMS systems.
3. don't have enough knowledge...if this was an altima I'd suggest checking your plug tubes for oil and replace the cam position sensor.
4. Almost certainly the motor is compromised, ie water ingress, rust, corroded connections etc. Again, check the motor and wiring. If wiring looks ok, then measure resistance across motor coil...if infinite, then replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Most likely the oil pressure sensor or the wiring attached to it is done. Aftermarket parts are just fine.
2. TPMS light...most likely you just have one or more sensors that are done, battery is dead and sensor is no longer reporting. You probably don't want to invest in new sensors, so learn to deal with it (or tape over the light). It is illegal in the US to tamper with TPMS systems.
3. don't have enough knowledge...if this was an altima I'd suggest checking your plug tubes for oil and replace the cam position sensor.
4. Almost certainly the motor is compromised, ie water ingress, rust, corroded connections etc. Again, check the motor and wiring. If wiring looks ok, then measure resistance across motor coil...if infinite, then replace.
Thanks for the reply! In regards to the oil pressure sensor and windshield sprayer motor, how difficult are they to replace? Is this something that is do-able in one afternoon for a guy who doesn't work on cars too often?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Again, I'm an Altima/VQ guy...so I don't know for sure, but they are probably similar, in which case for the washer motor, you typically would remove the front bumper skin...about 8 screws and 5 plastic poppers (and a few deep breaths). In the Altima it's tucked in below the passenger headlight. Once the skin is off everything is easy to work on. Grab your FSM and see what it says for the replacement of the unit.

Oil sender...it's all about where it is. Could be nightmare to get to (ie way underneath, or under a bunch of engine plastic and hoses). Again the FSM should show you where it is...and if you can eyeball it and get a hand down to it...it's no different than changing a spark plug. If you pay for oil changes, it might be possible to flip the guy $20 to pop the sensor in while he's got it up on the hoist anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts