The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. can someone tell me how is it possible that my ground wire has power to it. I traced it back and it is from the amp. I have 2 grounds, 1 is form my caps and one for my amps. The one for the caps is fine. But the one from my amp has power to it?? I tested it with a test lamp and it lights that fu*ker up!! I don't get it. The power wire is not touching in anyway. Is it possible that it is internal in the amp?? Any suggestions?? I really don't want to spend the money to take it to a stereo shop to have them fix it. I have not been to one of those in years!!

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
950 Posts
what exactly is the problem?

you dont get sound at all from the stereo?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have sound. The problem is that it caused a fire because of the ground. I have had this set up for over a year and a half and no problem, then all of a sudden the fire happened. I know it is because of the ground wire being hot. I just don't undersdtand why it is getting power!??

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
950 Posts
it is probably an insufficient ground that caused the fire.

is the ground wire the same gauge as the power wire?

is it a good solid connection?

is the power wire fused at the battery?

do you have just 1 amp?

distro blocks?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not quite sure what is being stated here... but i assume you are saying that the amplifier's ground wire has been disconnected, and the amplifier is still getting a little bit of power? And when you put a test lamp on it, it lights up the light...

Guessing, due to a lack of info... i would say right off the top of the head, either the amp is holding charge (My class d amp does that, has a bunch of caps inside that store power)... or the amplifer is grounding itself where it is mounted (if the amp is mounted to, or screwed down in to the frame/something connected to frame)

Dunno :confused:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok let me try to explain a little better. The amp is mounted to an amp board(wood) it is still hooked up. The power wire goes from battery to cap to amp. The cap is grounded to chassis on left side of trunk. The amp is grounded on the left side of the trunk. 2 weekends ago my trunk caught on fire. The fire was started from the ground wire becoming too hot. The reason i know that is because where the fire was that was the only wire in the area. Now when I put a test light to the ground wire it lights up. That is not supposed to happen.
I disconnected the ground wires and tested the ground wire straight from the amp and it still lights the tetser up. The ground from the cap does not.
So I guess my question is, can the amp(internally give my ground wire power?? Has anyone ever heard of this?

I hope this explains a little better!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts