The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
justballinzinthealtima said:
i neva done this but can someone help me out ..plz give me some tips..i just bought the paint:D
Spray or brush type paint??? Any painting you must prep and clean the area before you paint any surface. If your going to spray it, remove the calipers and paint them. If you don't want to remove them, you need to mask everything around the caliper. Brush type paint would be the easiest but not necessary the best.

·
Wasabi Warrior
1,023 Posts
Get a couple of jack stands and a good jack. Also a big can of brake cleaner to cleanout the calipers.

If you're using a spray can and too lazy to remove the calipers from the rotors (like me), be sure to use lots of newspaper to mask the wheel wells, so you won't get overspray on your finish. Also, take your time to let the paint dry. (Don't worry if a little overspray gets on your rotors - a quick drive around te block should remove any minor overspray.)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just get some rust paint or equivalent (I use tremclad), 1" foam brush and a small hobby brush and painters tape. Mask off the brake pad, rotor and any other moving parts (use the small brush to get into tight spots). Paint the main parts of the caliper with the foam brush, using thick, even coats. The trick is to apply the next coat before the previous one dries too much (usually 30mins max) and apply multiple coats to achieve a smooth, even, glossy look (I did 5 coats). Spray painting just looks cheap, plus hand painting lasts for years if you take your time and wait long enough for it to dry.

·
The Reverend
413 Posts
Make sure you use the proper paint. Calipers are exposed to some pretty extreme temperature. I would recommend getting a brake caliper laquer kit. It more expensive, but the paint will endure the temps and not fade or discolor from the heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts