The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I converted to manual tranny, car won't start. tranny has 2 sensors, speed sensor and I suppose the other sensor is the safety? and harness sensor plug (wire) didn't exactly landed were it suppose to land like every other plugs. Could it be that I got sensor plugs from the harness wrong? should I switch plugs around? Oh, it tells me to press on the brakes and press the start button and then it don't even hear the starter turn over but everything appears to act normal until that point? I changed the speedometer to manual? do I still need to put in clutch safety switch? Please help

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I guess I'm on my own on this one? well it looks like when I press on the brakes and press the push to start button, to me it looks like when it sends the signal back to the dash it looks like the dash is not accepting the signal. I see at the digital screen(speedometer) It flashes something real quick, anybody out there?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Manuals will ask you to depress the clutch, not the brake. Your gauge may think you're still an autobox?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
appreciate that info. thanks about to take to a shop just to finish the electrical. I found a thread that in his conversion he changed the dash harness, mt/abs, and a couple of other things. thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks kscott, A tech in the Nissan dealer who's my neighbor is bringing me a diagram of the electrical wiring for this car. he said the BCM needs to be reset or something like that so it can read the new ECU. I just have to find someone around my way that can do this job? I wonder if I have to toll my car or get someone to come over.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Did you swap out the ecu from auto, to one from a manual trans car? If you didn't that most likely will be your problem.

·
6,365 Posts
thanks kscott, A tech in the Nissan dealer who's my neighbor is bringing me a diagram of the electrical wiring for this car. he said the BCM needs to be reset or something like that so it can read the new ECU. I just have to find someone around my way that can do this job? I wonder if I have to toll my car or get someone to come over.
BCM reprogram is more like something you would do when the car has 'forgotten' its key codes and you are having immobilizer (NATS) issues.

If you have a 'manual' cluster but it's behaving like an auto cluster then there has to be something up with the wiring. May not be simple wiring, I suspect more may be at play...ie some other box (ECU, TCM, etc.) on the CAN bus isn't right and is sending the wrong messaging to the cluster. Will have a look at the cluster wiring for clues.

BTW...does holding both pedals down cause the car to start? Any codes thrown?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it didn't accur to me to press both pedals but I do get a quick figure flash in the cluster about 3 seconds after I hit the start button. everything seems to be working until that point. it reconizes the key. also the ECU I brought used and didn,t reflash it

·
6,365 Posts
Have a look at the MWI section, page MWI-31. From other sections of that doc we see that the BCM only sends security related info to the combi meter. That leaves the ECM via CAN bus causing the 'Press Brake' to appear.

·
6,365 Posts
so it is coming from the ECU. I should reflash ECU I would think. thanks for the info d0ugmac1
Can't guarantee it 100%, but looking at all the other inputs to the combi-meter, there's nothing that should cause that to display, other than a message from the ECM prepping the user for start condition. It is possible that a TCM (transmission computer) could send something via the CANBUS/CAN interface but you don't have one of those with a manual :)

Will look at the Start system next (ie how does Start button interface with rest of car to initiate cranking). That logic should show how the clutch or brake input is used.

·
6,365 Posts
Have a look at STR-6. For the car to start:

Clutch interlock must be active. You can test your wiring by checking for 12V at the starter relay in the IPDM--12V should come and go on the coil contact as you move the clutch pedal. On the autobox, this would have come from the PRNDL switch.

Note that in both cases, the BCM is responsible for grounding the other side of the starter relay.

That feeds the starter control relay in the IPDM which controls the starter solenoid (big ass relay) that supplys power to the motor for cranking. The starter control relay is controlled by the CPU (computer) in the IPDM which gets its input from the CAN bus (ECM, TCM, BCM, etc etc.).

What's interesting is that technically, the BCM could see the state of the clutch pedal/PRNDL switch by 'sensing' it. If 0V it could cause the display: (Press BRAKE or Press CLUTCH)..but if so it would be via CAN, so yes a reprogram via Consult (read Dealer $) might be what you need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ah man thank you very much. I really appreciate you. I'll take those next step and let you know how it goes. :)

·
6,365 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts