The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so last night my car was acting a little funny. Yesterday, I went to get some food with the GF, after coming back out I start my car and it starts to sputter and almost dies. I rev the engine and everything goes back to normal. I didn't think much of it.

After that I am driving back to my house (about 50mi) and while I am on the highway, it starts to sputter like crazy and dies on me. Mind you I am doing about 70 at this point. So I throw it in neautral and try to stat it up again while I am rolling, but no luck. It just truned over but never started.

I ended up getting stuck on the side of the highway for a while but then was able to start it up again and get home.

This morning it started fine and I decided to cheak the codes off of the ECU.

I got two codes:

1 Long / 1 Short = Camshaft Position Sensor
3 Long / 4 Short = Knock Sensor

And I screwed? Should I go to a dealer? Or can I just replace these sensors?

Please, I need help ASAP. I need to get to work!

Thanks

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
the knock sensor is expensive, not sure how much the dealer wants for it but the local auto zone here wanted 275 for it... or about that much. most of the time, you get a code 34 for the connector being loose or the sensor itself being loose. with my car, it was the connector NOT being connected at all. the cam position sensor is a little different. the o-ring could have failed and the sensor could be sitting in oil right now and causing your problem. search this one out, it was just adressed about 2 weeks ago, someone had the same problem and it was discussed pretty well.

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dude...

not good news about the knock sensor :( that's a whole lotta green right there...

I'm searching as we speak and found some stuff on the camshaft sensor...

thanks for the help :)

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
no problem man. just do like i did and get under there and physically check it. i found out mine was disconnected when i was installing my header. there was a loose plug just dangling. either way, the knock sensor could be MISSING and the car will still run fine. id lean more towards the other sensor. good luck bro.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
The knock sensor prolly isnt bad. The car prolly knocked and the sensor heard it. Cam position sensors have been known to go bad which in turn might have created a knock. Either way test test test before you start throwing parts at the car.

00-02 Sentras had a recall on the cam sensors as they would fail and the car would die just like yours did. I would do some inspection for sure.

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright so...

I am going to attempt to remove the distributor to see if there is any oil in there. If so, it is safe to say that the distributor needs changing correct?

Now about the O-ring, should this come with the new distributor? If not where would I get one?

thanks

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
1,083 Posts
My distributor went bad in my Altima and it did the same thing you described, worth checking out.

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, also another syptom I forgot about. After the car is warm, I started to rev it to see at which point it would start to sputter, and it seems that as soon as the RPM's hit 4000k, the car starts to sputter and begin to stall. WhenI let go af the gas, it is back to normal.

Does this still mean it could be my distributor? This time I am really going to try and remove it, it is just tha tI am working from home and got caught up with some shit.

Thanks

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
what about at WOT? does it sputter then too? have you checked for simple things like vacuum leaks? also, throttle position sensors can also affect the way the engine runs above an idle.

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok well I just changed the Distributor...the was a SHITLOAD of oil in there.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!! :)

I'll keep a close eye on it to make sure that there is nothing else that I missed. I'll also reset the ECU to make sure no more codes show up.

Let me know if I missed something

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE

Ok, so two days later....

I cleard the Computer several times, and the 3-4 error code still keeps coming out which is the Camshaft Sensor which is located in the distributor which I just focking changed!!!!

You think I got a bad distributor frrom Autozone? Or am I missing something.

Also, while I am sitting in Park letting the car idle, the car's RPM's still fluctuate between 800 and as low as 500 rpm. It just keeps bopping up and down. Is this because the Camshaft sensor is shit? Or did I mess up the timing when I put the distributor back on? I marked everything so I don't think it's that....

Rev....

Anyone?

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh shit wait....just realized that 3/4 is Knock Sensor.....

things have changed.....

So this is good...sort of.

Will a bad Knock Sensor make my RPM's fluctuate like that?

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
good question, my knock sensor is bad and my car does that too... but then my head gasket blew and im all kinds of ****ed up now on the original diagnosis of my car... have to see tonight when i start it back up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts