The Nissan Club banner

Need help- rear wheel nut

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  PT 
#1 ·
Just purchased '96 Altima GXE. Couldn't loosen wheel nut to check rear brake shoes (bearing nut, not lug nuts). Dealer service rep says it requires an impact wrench. On other cars I've owned the rear wheel nuts are only tightened a little more than handtight. Anyone know the torque spec for the nut?? Appreciate any help or advise.

Kip

#2 ·
which nut are you refering to? i have a factory service manual, so just let me know which one and i'll look it up.
Jay

#3 ·
Why do you need to take the bearing off to check the brake shoes? :confused: All you gotta do is take the drum off, and BAM!! The shoes are right there.

#5 ·
Nothing. The Lug nuts hold it on at the same time... Your previous cars were probably rear-drive cars with rear drums. In those cases, the center-nut DOES hold the drum on.

Here's how you take the drum off.

On the drum face, there are two small holes that are about 1/4 inches deep... with threads on them. Find 2 bolts that fit into those holes, and matches the threads. Screw these bolts in, and once you hit that 1/4" depth, keep screwing. As you screw the bolts in, the drum will come right off. Or, if you're one of those guys that competes in the "Met-Rx World's Strongest Man" competitions, you can just pull the drum right off without the bolts.

The drum usually sticks because of light rust buildup, or just pressure-adhesion from the lug-nuts.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or something, or start another thread.

#6 ·
PT said:
Nothing. The Lug nuts hold it on at the same time... Your previous cars were probably rear-drive cars with rear drums. In those cases, the center-nut DOES hold the drum on.

Here's how you take the drum off.

On the drum face, there are two small holes that are about 1/4 inches deep... with threads on them. Find 2 bolts that fit into those holes, and matches the threads. Screw these bolts in, and once you hit that 1/4" depth, keep screwing. As you screw the bolts in, the drum will come right off. Or, if you're one of those guys that competes in the "Met-Rx World's Strongest Man" competitions, you can just pull the drum right off without the bolts.

The drum usually sticks because of light rust buildup, or just pressure-adhesion from the lug-nuts.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or something, or start another thread.
PT have YOU taken off your Drum that way before? the way you jsut said to take it off?

because i took that goldish color center nut off and the drum came off i dont know what the hell you're talking about but thats the way i do it

#9 ·
the drum will not come off with the center nut still in place thats what holds it on duh why do you think that nut and the cotter pin are there for? maybe yor cars are diffrent i dont know much about the 98+ because i dont own one and from the looks of your sig u own a later modle alty

#10 ·
Yes, I've taken my drums off that way. I never had to take the hub off. I had to take the drum off to change the brake-bias. I'll snap some pics, 'cause I'm going to adjust the rear shoes again. One side locks up before the other side.

P.S. I have a 1999.

#12 ·
PT said:
Yes, I've taken my drums off that way. I never had to take the hub off. I had to take the drum off to change the brake-bias. I'll snap some pics, 'cause I'm going to adjust the rear shoes again. One side locks up before the other side.

P.S. I have a 1999.
i didnt say the hub i said that center nut that holds the whole drum in there and all the drum and the bearing and hub all all in one piece but it all comes apart p.s i have a 1995

#13 ·
white95 said:

i didnt say the hub i said that center nut that holds the whole drum in there and all the drum and the bearing and hub all all in one piece but it all comes apart p.s i have a 1995
That's just the thing - the big-ass nut in the center doesn't hold the drum on - the drum has a bigger hole in it. SEE!!!!

Now buy a &%$# Haynes!:D

#14 ·
Thanks kierandill. I was about to take those exact same pictures from my car! :D... except in color. :D

#16 ·
kierandill, you're a surgeon?

lol. I was reading the old posts in this thread, and I'm getting the drift that White95 is trying to make it sound like I'm making crap up and I don't know what I'm talking about. :D

I guess his method works too, but I'm willing to bet that using the bolts is a lot easier... and you don't have to put that cap back on. :D

How did you get that cap off anyways? I tried to take it off just to see what size the nut was, but I couldn't get it off. Did you drill holes through it or something or pick at it with a screwdriver? If I'm gonna do a rear-disc conversion, this would be nice to know.

#17 ·
white95 said:

The scary thing is that you acually think you know what you are talking about.

NOTHING HOLDS THE DRUM ON! :rolleyes:

The drum slides over the wheel/hub assembly. That big-ass nut you are refering to is called a HUB NUT and holds the HUB on. Or in simpler terms, it hold on the thing that the drum slides over.

If you look at your drum, you will see two small holes between the lugs. Find a bolt that size (i'll give you a hint, it's standard pully/wheel puller size), and thread it in, and give it a few turns with a wrench. That will break the rust from around the hub, and the friction between the shoes and drum, and the drum will slide off.

The only thing you need to take off get to the brakes is the tire.

Oh, just for the sake of a good laugh, how exactly do you change your front disc's? I'd really love to hear that one.

#22 ·
hey, I got an idea. Buy a ****ing manual moron. It will tell you exactly how to check the rear brake shoes. And, if you can't read, it even has step by step pictures on how to remove the rear brake drums.
Theres even a picture with the drum off, and the hub along with its nut still on the car. Wow, how did they do that?

#24 ·
Winston is a little too feminine for his own good huh? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.