The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AzeOfSpadez
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2011 6 speed coupe 3.5 and I was wondering if there were ANY options besides oem? My clutch is going to kick the bucket soon.
I did a quick search and exedy and andy's just go to like 2009? Either that, or only 2.5 :|

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a 2010 altima coupe 2.5. The 2.5 and 3.5 have the same exact transmission for manual. Same bolt pattern, dimensions, flywheel, clutch, as well as internal throw out assembly (slave cylinder). I personally went with a clutch masters fx series. A fx100 is more than enough to replace the stock clutch. I advise replacing the flywheel as well since we cannot get a dual weight flywheel resurfaced. I made the mistake of continuing to use the stock flywheel since I did not have the funds for an aftermarket so learn from my mistake and just go with a new flywheel as well. I did tons of research on this subject and if you don't believe me do the research yourself by going to courtesynissan.Com and use their parts catalog..very helpful. Our car also has the same Trans as a 2007+ Nissan sentry se-r spec V. Lost story short my stock Trans got murdered by a hack shop and I replaced it with a spec V Trans with the HLSD. It's amazing. Be careful who you let work on your clutch for it CANNOT be pressure bled..our system must be VACUUM bled.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,740 Posts
Like to hear more detail on the HLSD driveability if you have more to share...I've been fascinated ever since I read this thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@d0ugmac1 the HLSD is a solid unit. I don't frequent the drag strip often but every now and again I'll do a dig from a light or on a back road just for fun/against a friend/practice. It hooks really, really, really well. Drive ability, you won't even notice it is their until the situation calls for it suchanges as gassing out of a turn early, racing from a dig. I have 235/45/18 all around so the 235 rubber up front plus the HLSD does not allow the car to spin much with the qr25de 4 cylinder. It will chirp a bit off the line and into 2nd but this raises the stress on the axles, which I've also found out the hard way if you powershift. All in all it really shines in the twisty stuff. My car has coil overs all around, strut tower brace, rear sway bar so now I have COMPLETE control of my car in turns. Yes due to the weight bias of the car and the fact it is front wheel, it will push some into turns if you don't set up for the turn properly. However, the drive out of the turn is seemless and exhilarating to be honest. I find myself being able to progressively get back into the throttle at the apex or a litttttle bit past it if I came in hot and the car just friggen HOOKS. One of these years I will have the vq35de dropped in, re spring/valve my suspension and enjoy the same benefits.

·
AzeOfSpadez
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a 2010 altima coupe 2.5. The 2.5 and 3.5 have the same exact transmission for manual. Same bolt pattern, dimensions, flywheel, clutch, as well as internal throw out assembly (slave cylinder). I personally went with a clutch masters fx series. A fx100 is more than enough to replace the stock clutch. I advise replacing the flywheel as well since we cannot get a dual weight flywheel resurfaced. I made the mistake of continuing to use the stock flywheel since I did not have the funds for an aftermarket so learn from my mistake and just go with a new flywheel as well. I did tons of research on this subject and if you don't believe me do the research yourself by going to courtesynissan.Com and use their parts catalog..very helpful. Our car also has the same Trans as a 2007+ Nissan sentry se-r spec V. Lost story short my stock Trans got murdered by a hack shop and I replaced it with a spec V Trans with the HLSD. It's amazing. Be careful who you let work on your clutch for it CANNOT be pressure bled..our system must be VACUUM bled.
Hey, what was the mistake with the flywheel exactly? I had planned not to replace that piece, and just get the disc, a new slave and believe it or not an HLSD from the Sentra lol. New of course for about $560, i read that same thread some one else linked lol.:angel

·
AzeOfSpadez
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like to hear more detail on the HLSD driveability if you have more to share...I've been fascinated ever since I read this thread.
Def. Ever since i came across that thread, I've put it into my list for my next clutch job, no matter what! I also have a V6 2004 Altima, Automatic thats basically my back up, so time and money are not an issue for when i do get around to getting this done. HLSD is a MUST :grin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honestly, my reasoning behind replacing the flywheel is due to the fact that the stock one is not able to be resurfaced. Therefore by putting an aftermarket clutch in your car I am under the assumption you might drive it hard sometimes, maybe I'm wrong, but I do and it was a mistake not to get a new flywheel so I have the ability to resurface it when it gets worn from the abuse my new clutch disc has the capability to inflict upon the flywheel. The pressure plate has great clamping power and I upgraded to the organic/Kevlar disc and it shudders sometimes if you don't get it juuuuust right on take off. I'm not sure why but the clutch only disengages when the clutch pedal is pushed all the down to the floor. It has gotten better after 20k miles but it's nothing like what stock used to be. My theory is either the dual weight flywheel is thicker than a single plate aftermarket lightweight flywheel, or the shop that installed my clutch the first time when I had the differential put in my stock tranny just hacked my hydraulic clutch system so badly that it may have messed up tiny seals within the hydraulic assembly. My situation is unique and I went through a lot of bullshit to get my car back on the road last year due to imcompitent mechanics. One day ill get my car how I want it, however I just throw the warnings out there for everyone to know and read what could happen if it's not done CORRECTLY. I took the instructions from a haynes manual and will be bleeding my clutch line soon so see if it helps my particular situation. If it does I'll relay the information. Either way a clutch masters fx100 without any upgrades is a GREAT aftermarket clutch with a quality slave cylinder assembly unlike exidy (cheap Chinese crap).

·
5,740 Posts
I own a 2010 altima coupe 2.5. The 2.5 and 3.5 have the same exact transmission for manual. Same bolt pattern, dimensions, flywheel, clutch, as well as internal throw out assembly (slave cylinder). .....
Wrong info posted by me earlier...it appears the clutch setup is the same..ie 21 tooth and 9.5" clutch plate. Don't believe websites that say tjhe Gen4 3.5 takes a 24 tooth spline!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sort of true, but the clutch is smaller...9.5" vs 9.8", 21 splines vs 24 splines, and the shaft is slightly narrower 25.4mm vs 25.6mm
Sorry to revive this somewhat old thread, but I've been searching for days and this is the only mention of clutch compatibility I can find anywhere on the internet.

I'm trying to do someone a favor and they don't have a lot of cash. The car is a 2010 Altima SR coupe 3.5 with the manual trans. The clutch slave went out and I've got it all apart, but the clutch disk doesn't look great. The car has 80k on it and I hate to put it back together without changing the clutch, but I can only find it available from Nissan dealerships for around $480.

These are the PN for my car:
Nissan PN for clutch disk 30100JA10A
Nissan PN for clutch w/ pressure plate 30205JA10A or LUK 06081

I know that manual trans weren't very common in this car with the 3.5, so i guess that's why its so hard to find the clutch, but I'm thinking that maybe I could use a disk from another kit.

like maybe a LUK 06082 that fits:
INFINITI G35 2007-2008
INFINITI G37 2008-2013
INFINITI Q60 2014-2015
NISSAN 350Z 2007-2009
NISSAN 370Z 2009-2016

I realize that the pressure plate, throw-out bearing etc. won't fit from this kit, but even if I can just use the clutch disk, it still saves a lot of money. For what its worth, the car is not driven hard and both pressure plate and flywheel look fine, so considering the circumstances, I don't mind replacing only the disk.

any help is appreciated.

·
5,740 Posts
NAPA seems to have aftermarket 3.5 clutch parts in stock...have you tried them? Rockauto only had some Stage2 kit at $1300+ (unusual for them, but it is what it is). Luk was supposed to have a the 3.5 clutch kit ready for Q1 of this year, but as far as I can tell, it still isn't ready (I reached out to them late last year, they are euro/German based).

·
Registered
3 Posts
6SpeedingCoupe said:
The 2.5 and 3.5 have the same exact transmission for manual. Same bolt pattern, dimensions, flywheel, clutch, as well as internal throw out assembly (slave cylinder).
Sort of true, but the clutch is smaller...9.5" vs 9.8", 21 splines vs 24 splines, and the shaft is slightly narrower 25.4mm vs 25.6mm.
I'm afraid there is a bit of misinformation here.
I have a 2010 Altima 3.5 and I ordered an Exedy Clutch Kit for the 2.5 in order to find out which parts would fit. (I was certain the slave cylinder would fit and was pretty sure the clutch disk would as well.) Here is what I can confirm through research and physical part comparison.

[*]The transmission itself is exactly the same (same part number). That means the input shaft size and in turn clutch spline is exactly the same. (21 tooth for both 2.5 and 3.5).

[*]The clutch seems like it will fit and probably work, but it doesn't have the same length of spline engagement. The 3.5 clutch disk has at lease 3/8 inch more spline engagement length than the 2.5 clutch disk. Not sure if this would be an issue, but its definitely not the same clutch disk.

[*]The 2.5 pressure plate will not bolt up to the 3.5 flywheel. bolt spacing is slightly different. The pressure plate is also mechanically very different.

[*]The clutch slave/ throw-out bearing is the same (same part number)

[*]The pilot bearing is the same (and also completely pointless. the input shaft is not long enough to even touch it)

NAPA seems to have aftermarket 3.5 clutch parts in stock...have you tried them? .
This is the most helpful bit of info I have found on this clutch replacement fiasco yet. NAPA does indeed have the clutch kit and the price is reasonable at $322 for the correct clutch disk, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. Its made by LUK (the OE manufacturer for the 3.5 clutch.) and the pics look like a perfect match. This is the only non-dealer OE style clutch kit I've been able to find anywhere. I should have it by next weekend and hopefully get this car out of the garage!
Thanks for all the help guys and I hope all this info helps someone else trying to re-clutch one of these oddball cars.

·
5,740 Posts
BTW It is highly recommended (again the research, not me) to replace the dual mass flywheel at the same time...and that is a dealer only part. But if you're going to ALL that trouble...another $400 is just that.

·
5,740 Posts
I'm afraid there is a bit of misinformation here.
I have a 2010 Altima 3.5 and I ordered an Exedy Clutch Kit for the 2.5 in order to find out which parts would fit. (I was certain the slave cylinder would fit and was pretty sure the clutch disk would as well.) Here is what I can confirm through research and physical part comparison.

[*]The transmission itself is exactly the same (same part number). That means the input shaft size and in turn clutch spline is exactly the same. (21 tooth for both 2.5 and 3.5).

[*]The clutch seems like it will fit and probably work, but it doesn't have the same length of spline engagement. The 3.5 clutch disk has at lease 3/8 inch more spline engagement length than the 2.5 clutch disk. Not sure if this would be an issue, but its definitely not the same clutch disk.

[*]The 2.5 pressure plate will not bolt up to the 3.5 flywheel. bolt spacing is slightly different. The pressure plate is also mechanically very different.
I am afraid you are incorrect. The transmissions have different PNs...I stand by my dimensions and spline count assertions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am afraid you are incorrect. The transmissions have different PNs...I stand by my dimensions and spline count assertions.
3.5L clutch spline is 21 tooth NOT 24 tooth!

I did my research as well and FAILED miserably.

I bought a 24T 350Z/370Z XTD Clutch kit. The pressure plate will fit perfectly. The disk WILL NOT.

On a search for a 21T disk now.

OEM 3.5L 6MT clutch disb 30100-JA10A 21T spline.

24T spline tool will NOT fit the OEM disc

Side by side of OEM disc and 350Z/370Z disc.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Also, input shaft diameter is 1" and disc is 9.5".

·
5,740 Posts
Well, at least we'll get to the bottom of this finally! Someone said it earlier FIASCO!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts