The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys... i'm running about 2,000 watts of bass in my car with the sony cdx-mp70 head unit... subs and amp work fine however... when i push the sytem loud... the stereo shuts off... anyone have ideas or suggestions on how to fix this problem... i am thinking the stereo is being pushed too hard for the inside speakers and thinking about hooking up my small 200 watt pheonix gold amp for the inside speakers to releave some stress to the headunit...

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
you said 2000 watts but in your sig it says 700...go by rms numbers. chances are it's a problem with the sony cd player tho. my friend who worked for best buy said the 2 most returned brands for defects were jensen and then sony. your problem might be cured by the amplifier tho. when i worked at circuit city we had the alpine 60x4 and since the way our display was (everything on a wall off one battery) we needed to amp the hi's or it would completely shut off after a certain point.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
700 watts rms with each sub with max power set at 1400 each... so 2,800 watts between two subs and 2,200 watt amplifier... the amp is running at 2 ohm load pushing 800 watts rms... today i hooked up my pheonix gold with the inside speakers and problem has been solved... thanks for the input...

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
i have the same head unit

and had the same problems.

the cause is the HU overheats. The sony is good for nice clean sound. however it doesn't like it super loud.

with that head unit you have to make your amps do ALL the work

get good hi powered amps, run the gains at the highest setting to balance out the system, and target your loudest listening at about the 3/4 volume mark on the HU (i.e. you want to begin to hear distortion at about 3/4 max volume)

one thing you can do (I did) is put a small hole in the AC ducting behind the head unit, this will cool it some. But again, the more work that the amps do with the signal the better.

I love that head unit but it has two strikes against it: the overheating and the cd lens requires frequent cleanings (~1/week).

but I do like the way the display color matches my dash lights.

·
I <3 Sanjaya
1,824 Posts
uhh...if i'm not mistaken you DO NOT want to put the gain up all the way...there is actually a test to determine what the gain is but i forgot it off the top of my head, rthompson will prolly tell you what it is shortly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is different with different amplifiers... some take only a small turn to boost the sounds and some need a full turn on the gain... i never go past 3/4 on the gain on any amp because it might be over working it... yeah but the stereo is great specially at night with the orange lcd... and very nice input snolden...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts