The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

Well, the cruise control quit working on my '97 Altima. The light in the dash switch turns on, but that's about it. Vacuum lines are okay, brake lights are okay, but the steering wheel controls don't function like the Haynes manual says they should.

For some reason I have a hard time believing that the controls went bad all of a sudden. I tried all of the local dealers, but no one has that part for me to check against. Could one of you with a functioning cruise control and a multi-meter please check your switch and let me know what you find?

It comes out real easy, the little cover behind it pops off, and then 2 screws hold it in. Now...on the plug, it has 3 pins grouped together, and then another pin by itself, like this: 21-22-23-----25

Those are the pin numbers. The manual says check for continuity between 21 and 23 for the Resume switch operation. Continuity between 21 and 22 for the Coast switch. And continuity between 21, 22, and 23 for operation of the Cancel switch.

Mine checks out, except for the cancel button. Could someone please check it and let me know what you find?

Thank you much,

Matt

·
Registered
107 Posts
does it kick off after a bit?

mine was engaging, light would come on all that jazz.... then after a few seconds it couldn't hold it and would kick off.

I had checked everything and everything seemed to be in order ..... then one day oil seaped into the spark plug wires and caused the engine to run very poorly (was running on 3 cylinders only). I brought it in to the Nissan dealer and they completed repairs, new spark plugs, wires, gasket, etc...

Their explaination for the cruise control "fixing itself" was that the car had a miss that wasn't noticeable without hooking up diagnostics.

They told me they did nothing to the cruise control itself. It works beautifully now. It was not working for nearly a year before the oil seapage problem occured.

This problem occured on a:
1996 Altima GXE - 64K

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ck the cruise brake switch at the brake pedal, there are two switches, 1 brake light, 1 cruise. U may just need to adjust it. Or the switches rubber "bumper" is broken. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the light in the C.C. button turns on.

It'll just take a couple minutes if you could check your steering wheel buttons...

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's fine for you, but I like cruise control and use it all the time. Got a 30 mile drive to work each day.

C'mon, fellow Altima owners, help a brotha out!!!

It'll only take 3 minutes, I swear!

Matt

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
manual or automatic? this happened on my old z. there is a switch behind the clutch pedal. if it's not in the right position, the cruise control won't engage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a Automatic.

The switch doesn't function like the manual says it should, so I'm just trying to see if that is really the problem, before I order the part.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
383 Posts
My 93's cruise isn't working either, I havea 5 speed, but where is this Switch exactly and what does it look like? And what is the right position for it?

jiggersplat said:
manual or automatic? this happened on my old z. there is a switch behind the clutch pedal. if it's not in the right position, the cruise control won't engage.

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
don't know, i haven't looked at it on my altima.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Sorry man I would but I got no time. However if you give me till 6 I'm sure I can help you out. I have the exact same problem with mine and need to figure it out. I got a 4 hour drive on Wednesday and it's all highway.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Fixed the Cruise Control Problem!! (5Spd 93Altima)

Well after reading some quick fixes I found that the clutch stopper wasn't touching the trigger for the Cruise COntrol (kinda of hard to explain)

basically in a 5spd if you follow the clutch pedal all the way up with your eyes you will notice that it has this blue/purple plastic stopper that presses down on this trigger whenever the pedal is disengaged....

Take a flashlight, stick your head in under the pedals and check to see if the stopper is pressing down the little trigger. If it isn't then adjust the pedal so that it does press down on the stopper or adjust the metal mount that the trigger is mounted to.

I didn't have the right size wrench so I did a poor man's fix, and just crazy glued a piece of small plastic to the end of the blue/purple stopper that way when I disengage the clutch it presses down on the trigger :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts