The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gee
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked and found several people with similar problems but haven't found my solution. I have a 07 Nissan Altima 2.5s. I was driving and out of nowhere the gas pedal did not register as if I was pushing it at all. The code P2135 popped up. I bought a new throttle body and reset the code and it ran fine for another week. After about a week, the gas pedal wouldn't register randomly. I replaced the throttle pedal assembly and later had the dealer do a relearn procedure. After another 2 weeks same symptoms, the car would only move on idle. Came back later, it started rough but corrected itself but then would not move from park into gear without shutting off. I erased all the codes again but it's still randomly doing the same thing –the accelerator doesn’t register that it is being pushed. I have replaced the battery, verified the alternator The codes that have popped up are: P2135, P2101, P2119, P0223, P0123. I can drive the car, but randomly the accelerator pedal does not register that I am pushing it. Could it be an air leak or MAF or a wiring issue or another bad throttle body? Please point me in a direction to check.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Any dash lights come on when pedal stops responding?

Have you checked your engine to chassis ground?

·
Gee
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
d0ugmac1

It took another 150 miles but happened again today. Was approaching traffic stopped at light, engine RPM's dropped close to stalling and check engine light comes on. Afterwards, engine response to throttle input was slow but at least it was responding. Stopped in parking lot and checked for codes. Found a P2135 code and reset. Restarted and all was good again.
I have been checking for the stock ground locations on the net but haven't found any pictures. Can you direct me to where please. (born and raised in Mississauga)

·
6,365 Posts
P2135 points to throttle sensor issues. Have a read here.

I know they give you all sorts of things to do, but given the nature of the Nissan engines, the first thing I would do is have your throttle body inspected and cleaned if necessary. If the TB is okay, then I would grab the relevant section of the FSM and a voltmeter and do some basic testing of the pedal sensor and the TB. If you can't find anything there, then maybe, just maybe, you need to go see a trained technician.

I have a 6MT and the neg battery cable attached to a tab mounted on the front lower side of transmission...just follow the cable down the side of the battery from underneath. You may have to remove the engine plastic shield down there to see. The Gen3s had a much poorer grounding setup than our Gen4's. But gremlins are gremlins and it's the easiest way to eliminate the most common cause.

·
Gee
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solved, I think

I think it is solved, but with Gremlins, it is sometimes hard to tell. 700 miles so far for a problem that would happen every 100, sounds solved to me. I traced the ground cable under the battery to the frame and then to the transmission. At the frame mount the exposed copper was green with oxidation and the cable felt "different" below that point. I surmise that crud washed from the battery will run down beside the battery get on this exposed connection and run inside the plastic coating. Over time the cable is compromised without much of a visible sign. I replaced this cable with the factory part and a generous amount of dielectric grease on the connections.
So far no repeat problems.
Thanks d0ugmac1 for pointing me in the right direction.

·
6,365 Posts
Thanks for reporting back on a probable solution...will help others, for sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts