The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, whenever i drive my car hard around turns after awhile i hear a groaning type sound whenever i turn the wheel and the feedback is a little harder than it should be. I was thinking the power steering might be messed up so when i checked the fluid in that black resevoir thing with the knob on the left side in the engine bay and it was so low it never touched the metal bar attached to the knob, i also didn't start the car i had just woken up...does that mean i need more fluid? and if so do i just pour it in there or does it go in somewhere else?

ok problem #2 while i was checking it i noticed the coolant resevoir (sp) was pretty much empty, when i had put it water wetter a few months back it was halfway full so i think i have to get more coolant also, my car wasn't started when i checked if that makes a difference. So what kind of fluid should i put in and what brand? i plan on getting water wetter again and mixing it.

thanks in advance

G

·
Our cars use ATF for the power steering system, though PS fluid won't hurt it if thats what you have. And yes the fluid should show up on the dipstick even when the cars not running. It has hot and cold marks I believe. Fill it up, turn the car on and turn the steering wheel back a forth a few times, from stop to stop. The check your fluid again. This is also a good time to check for leaks. Most common is going to be the high pressure hose. It goes from the pump up to a bracket sort of thing mounted high on the passenger side of the firewall. Its a rubber hose with metal crimped on pieces for banjo bolts. Any of the standard rubber hoses could be leaking as well. A leak is pretty easy to spot. Could also be from the rack and pinion underneath. Just follow all the hoses around. The hose do disappear behind the front grill because theres a itty bitty ps cooler up there. If its not leaking... then I'd say santa got thirsty or something.

Demmy

opps correction... you need to bleed the ps with the engine off. Just turn the ignition on to unlock the steering wheel and apply some muscle to crank it back and forth. then turn and on and crank it a few times to check for leaks.

G

·
oh yeah... don't let you're ps steering constantly run low. It'll screw up your pump kinda like mine. Mine whines all the time now. I didn't even realize how bad it was till I replaced my motor mount because I couldn't hear it over the engine. I had to relace my high pressure hose and supply hose from the tank to the pump.

Demmy

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
with the car off and cold, open the radiator cap.. put whatever coolant you want into the resevoir perferable a 50/50 mix with water. , then put some into the radiator if its low. Turn on the car (with cap off), the fluid will get sucked thru. after a moment, (while still on) pour fluid in radiator if its low. After you might want to rev the engine abit, then go and check again. If the level stays ok, close the cap, and shut the car off...

you should be ok...

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks you two, i'm gonna go get to work now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts