The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just installed the strut bar------easy. I just need to know how tight I should make the connections to the bar. Should the bar be totally stiff across or should it have a little give to it? How tight should I make the connections? Need help as soon as possible! I don't wanna drive anywhere without it being on right!

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
It depends on if you want to pre-load the towers or not. If you over brace the strut-towers, your car will actually begin to understeer (plow) before it should.

I AutoX, so I set my bar to give a little bit. For drag-racing, it doesn't really matter... but for Touring-Car performance, overly stiff is a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
there shouldn't be any give to the strut brace. that would defeat the purpose of putting it on. should fit nice and snug . Torque settings for the strut bolts are about 18 - 25 ft lbs. Some say to make them really tight but you can strip them if too tight.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
18-25...seems kinda low. I posted what they should be per factory service manual. I'm sure it's more than 25...like 32-40. But anyways, just make them as tight as when you took them off...so go by feel if you don't have a torque wrench.
I put on a fstb in my friend's 99 Maxima SE-L yesterday...took 20 min cuz lame azz Pann Autosport decided to really tighten down 1 of the strut bolts...friend busted a nuckle on it.
Jay

·
7,727 Posts
drew said:
there shouldn't be any give to the strut brace. that would defeat the purpose of putting it on. should fit nice and snug . Torque settings for the strut bolts are about 18 - 25 ft lbs. Some say to make them really tight but you can strip them if too tight.
yeah that sounds too loose.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
ThurzNite said:
18-25...seems kinda low. I posted what they should be per factory service manual. I'm sure it's more than 25...like 32-40. But anyways, just make them as tight as when you took them off...so go by feel if you don't have a torque wrench.
I put on a fstb in my friend's 99 Maxima SE-L yesterday...took 20 min cuz lame azz Pann Autosport decided to really tighten down 1 of the strut bolts...friend busted a nuckle on it.
Jay
I've decided that the techs at Pann have no idea what they're doing. Next time, I'm just going to talk to Thomas, and see if I can pay them 50-bucks to use their lift and their tools.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ThurzNite said:
took 20 min cuz lame azz Pann Autosport decided to really tighten down 1 of the strut bolts...friend busted a nuckle on it.
Jay

i installed a strut bar on my ride today...someone had told me yesterday to use some WD40 before even trying to take off the bolts :D ....came off fine.....but installin the bar was a pain in the ass...wouldnt go on right at 1 of the 2 ends.....firgured it jus takes a lil time and patience

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I was an idiot when I did mine. Disconnected the bar from the end brackets. Mount the brackets, then try to unscrew the ends till they fit, then mount the bar, and finally give the bar 1/2 a turn.
I eventually redid it. Leave the bar and mounts as 1 piece. Shorten the bar all the way. Mount 1 bracket. Hold the other bracket so it doesn't rotate and start turning the bar till it reaches the other end. then mount bracket and twist bar another 1/2 turn.
Jay

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
ThurzNite said:
Jay
This is the number my mechanic gave me when I called him and made him look it up in the Factory manual. He might be wrong but I haven't noticed any problems with it. No play and it's a definite asset on the road. When I took mine off to paint it I felt the difference right away. Really slushie. Put it back on and it was nice and stiff!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts