The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a kinda big problem with my 95 GXE 5spd. It wont come out of first. Its like there is a wall blocking me from going int 2nd or any other gear. My only guess is that the slave cylinder may have gone bad, the bushings may need replacing, the linkage is bound, or worst the internals are seized or the synchros are gone. Its got plenty of fluid and it will barely pop out of first and go into neutral but its still in the slot for first just not engaged. Also it will only go into first if the car is at a complete stop. If anyone has any ideas about what may be wrong and what I can check please help. Thanks.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
You may have internal damage to one or more of your half-shafts. This does not sound likely that it may be a linkage problem. Sorry, but start checking around for a new or used tranny, and rebuilding quotes. Did your tranny fluid (oil) have any metal particles in it? Did it smell normal?

·
Registered
64 Posts
sounds like the syncros might be shot. They also have brass blocker rings on the syncros and they wear too but it sounds like you might have a broken one. What condition is the clutch in? is it disengageing all the way?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fluid seems to be fine, though it seems pretty thin and its kinda dirty but no metal. I dont really know what brake fluid smells like but I'm guessing its really not supposed to have a smell. Mine kinda smells like burnt oil but not very strong (may just be from the rest of the engine.) The clutch seems fine, but its been a piece of crap since I had it put in about 7 months ago. Its a centerforce dual friction (I HATE IT) It catches kinda between the middle and very top of the pedal, more to the top. It also makes an awful squeak from the pedal at the bottom but I think its just needs WD40. Like I said I havnt really got under the car to really check things out but I really dont know where to start on a transmission. In the past month or two its been kinda hard to get into first unless I'm basically sitting still and its blocked itself from second 3 times but always eventually popped in and been fine for a couple weeks. Now its blocked itself from all gears and wont be moved. At first I thought it was the slave cylinder but now I dont know. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also Ive found a used transmission from a reliable source for $350. I really hate to buy it because I just got it out of the shop for head work like 3 weeks ago and that cost 1600 bucks. I guess if its broke I gotta fix it though.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
AltimaGTR524 said:
Also Ive found a used transmission from a reliable source for $350. I really hate to buy it because I just got it out of the shop for head work like 3 weeks ago and that cost 1600 bucks. I guess if its broke I gotta fix it though.
That price, I'm assuming, is w/o installation labor (it seems a little low). You'll be looking at 500 beans for that. If you don't already know, find out from your source the mileage the motor the used tranny came from, and take a look at the spline shaft. It's an indicator of wear and tear and stress put on the transmission.

Also, dave brings up a good point as well about the synchronizing gears. Have'm checked-out!

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
If the synchros were bad, it would probably still shift ok when then engine was off and the internals weren't spinning, unless there was shredded metal in there, which he would have seen in the fluid, right?

The transaxle fluid should be pretty thick, and not very dark (the fresh stuff leaking out of my transaxle was nearly clear, and very thick). If it looks "dirty" it may be a sign of wear.

·
no ordinary sedan
336 Posts
That just happened to me.. my bearing on the halfshaft busted and I need a new tranny.

Maybe its common w/ 95's??

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
robmarch said:
If the synchros were bad, it would probably still shift ok when then engine was off and the internals weren't spinning, unless there was shredded metal in there, which he would have seen in the fluid, right?
My only point was to have them checked as a way to single out a potential problem. :) But, if there is severe damage to any half shaft at all, proper syncrho engagement would not occur while shifting whether the main is spinning or not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the tranny that i found was just a used tranny. The transmission will be installed by me and a friend (Ive done front wheel drive eclipses and corrados so this shouldent be to much diffrent.) I hope. I'm guessing that my transmission is shot so soon I will purchase a used one. If it runs for 3 months just so I can sell it I'll be happy. I kinda hate to get rid of the altima but Ive had a lot of problems in the last 2 months. I may just keep the altima as a toy so i dont have to actually rely on it to get me places. I am going to get my new car on Monday so no hurry on the altima.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
AltimaGTR524 said:
Yeah the tranny that i found was just a used tranny. The transmission will be installed by me and a friend (Ive done front wheel drive eclipses and corrados so this shouldent be to much diffrent.) I hope. I'm guessing that my transmission is shot so soon I will purchase a used one. If it runs for 3 months just so I can sell it I'll be happy. I kinda hate to get rid of the altima but Ive had a lot of problems in the last 2 months. I may just keep the altima as a toy so i dont have to actually rely on it to get me places. I am going to get my new car on Monday so no hurry on the altima.
Did you get that new car yet?

·
projected member
919 Posts
i would adjust the clutch first. being the easiest and cheapest. your clutch should have about an inch or 2 of play at the top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts