Steelie Crew Member #001
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plz help.

This thing all things devours
Birds, beastsm trees, flowers
Gnaws iron , bites steel
Grinds hard stones to meals
Slays kings, ruins towns, and beats high mountains down.

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
rEvVoMaNiAc said:
TIME. I know this riddle. :squint:
Cheater. Besides, water does all those things as well :D

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
rEvVoMaNiAc said:
Water does not devour birds.
Then you've never been stuck in a snow avalanche? what's snow made of...water. Rogue waves have devoured birds on beaches.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
rEvVoMaNiAc said:
Water does not devour birds.
Time doesn't either... The bird dies and the worms take over.

Talking about worms, that's gotta be the mother of all paybacks. Eat the very thing that ate you during it's whole life. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
YokoShima said:
Then you've never been stuck in a snow avalanche? what's snow made of...water. Rogue waves have devoured birds on beaches.
Yes, but the riddle says that it devours ALL things, therefore implying ALL birds. By your logic, every bird meets its end by getting caught in a freak avalanche.

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
rEvVoMaNiAc said:
Yes, but the riddle says that it devours ALL things, therefore implying ALL birds. By your logic, every bird meets its end by getting caught in a freak avalanche.
it could happen.

Don't mind me, I'm just in a goofy mindset today. Insomnia does that to one.

But then again, look at the wording of the first line..."This thing all things devour" it does not say "this thing devours all thing"

·
Registered
128 Posts
But it hasn't happened. If in all of history, there has been one bird that has not died by way of an avalanche, your theory falls. I saw a pigeon get smacked by a Tercel's windshield once. I know that pigeon did not make it, at least not within range of a potential avalanche. I know this because I saw this occur in Arizona. :p

Nope. It's not "This thing all things devour". It's "This thing all things devours". ThingS can't devourS anything. So therefore, the subject of the riddle is not something that is devoured by other things; it is something that devours other things. Think Yoda-style speech, and you've got the general idea.

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
How many historians do you know of is going to write the significance of a bird/birds die by avalanche? That would be just silly. Besides, in the bible...Noahs arc...40 daysand nights of what? Rain. rain=water.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
YokoShima said:
How many historians do you know of is going to write the significance of a bird/birds die by avalanche? That would be just silly. Besides, in the bible...Noahs arc...40 daysand nights of what? Rain. rain=water.
Yoko is right... The great flood did devour just about anything that was not in the boat.

That's why I don't like riddles. Put a rock in complete vacuum and time won't "devour" it in a billion years.

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
PsyKoh said:
Yoko is right... The great flood did devour just about anything that was not in the boat.
I knew those 2 years of my life spent in CCD on saturday mornings missing cartoons would eventually pay off :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts