The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anybody know why my 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE sounds like it has Rod lot every time I first started but when it warms up it goes away sounds normal and then on top of that I can’t read past 3000 RPM or it sounds like Rod knock and also for a while I will have a blackish smoke coming out the exhaust when I gas it on a green light. I’ve changed the valve cover gasket, and I stop the smoke for a few days and then it came back again.
I have changed the alternator, the ignition coils, and battery
Any ideas?

· Registered
84 Posts
This type sound is one of the common signs of a failing connecting rod. This knocking tends to get louder as you speed up, but it may go away once oil starts to circulate and lubricate the failing connecting rod.

· Registered
27 Posts
Black smoke from the exhaust pipe is generally caused by too rich mixture and insufficient combustion of the engine, that is, insufficient intake air and too much fuel, the engine is not fully burned during the combustion process, and the gasoline is not completely burned. A large amount of carbon particles are formed under it, and "soot" is removed, which is the black smoke we see.
There are many reasons for this phenomenon, such as throttle position sensor, air flow meter, oxygen sensor and other sensors malfunctioning.I found these auto parts for your reference

1 - 7 of 7 Posts