The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is official, just found out that they will need to replace the trans in my altima after only 15K miles. Hopefully the new one will be of better quality than the first. I have a feeling the problem was due to the clutch not engaging properly. Every now and then, I would push the clutch all the way in and the gear would not come out normally, it would pop out with a clunk. Sometimes I could not get the car into 1st or R without pumping the clutch. I drive my car hard most of the time, but I am very good with a manual. I wonder if it may be due to substandard trans with this powerful VQ engine. Anyway, all of this is covered under warranty.

Symptoms were a metal humming/grinding sound from the tranny in 3rd and 4th gear with light gas. It got louder the higher the RPM's.

I will let you know how the new trans holds up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sound like a bearing went bad. Could have been just a bad batch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got car back last friday with new transmission. Turns out I had a bent linkage rod to the 4th and 5th gears. He said that it was a good thing that I brought it in when I did.

Total cost = $0 nissan even overnighted the trans to the dealer. Had the car back in five days.

New trans......well let just say that it feels like the old one. Hope the problem does not happen again. If so, hopefully before I hit 36,000 miles. Does anyone know how many times you need to have the same problem before you call it a lemon?

·
Registered
82 Posts
That warranty should be covered under your 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranty. So if you could break it a couple more times before 60.000 then you could file lemon law

·
Registered
49 Posts
3.5SE_Phan said:
Got car back last friday with new transmission. Turns out I had a bent linkage rod to the 4th and 5th gears. He said that it was a good thing that I brought it in when I did.

New trans......well let just say that it feels like the old one. Hope the problem does not happen again.
I thought these cars had a cable shifter (no shift linkage?) Was this"linkage rod" inside the tranny? Anyone ever heard of bending the ones that the shift forks ride on? Not me. They are short and strong. Anyone even know what the inside of a 5 spd. looks like? :D Are you sure that they even replaced the trans.? Shoulda marked a scratch on it or something before you took it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts