The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking for my first car and i really like the first generation altimas. I think they are the nicest car in my price range. The only problem is that there arent to many available that i can afford ( i only have about 3000$). Right now im thinking about buying a 94 auto with 117K miles on it. I havent talked to the owner yet, just left a message for him so that's all i know about the car.

·
DrUnKeN_TiGeR
206 Posts
I got a 94 GXE auto with 116K and it runs like new (seriously!) :D . I say go for it man, you won't be disappointed (however, first test drive it.) :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, id much rather have the 5 speed but the only one i have seen around here for the last couple weeks is one w/180k miles on it and was for sale at $3600

·
Blackbelt in Pimpsmacking
335 Posts
raderOHS said:
yeah, id much rather have the 5 speed but the only one i have seen around here for the last couple weeks is one w/180k miles on it and was for sale at $3600
get the auto.its a good deal.

·
430 Posts
If I were you...I wouldn't worry much about the mileage. If the previous owner maintained it properly, you can get several hundred thousand miles without rebuilding. I've got 160000 miles on my 5-speed, and it gets close to 40 mpg on the interstate at 70 mph. It runs better than the day I got it, a year and a half ago. Besides, you want a 5-speed. Nissan is notorious for having complicated auto trannies...when they go, they GO.

Out.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
378 Posts
Octane - 40 miles per gallon? You'll have to share that trick with the rest of the class! I have a 5 speed 96 and get 30 miles per gallon in 80% highway, but can push it up to about 33 on long trips.

raderOHS -
I agree with everyone else here, my car runs like new at 110,000 miles. I had to replace the alternator at 60,000 miles, but nothing else besides general maintenance. If the car was well maintained, it could be a good deal!

If you know a good mechanic, you can always bring them along to check the car out and test drive it with you, I would think that would be worth what they would charge you ($50?).

From a comparison standpoint, I thought the Altima was much more solid than the civic, and seemed to have a more sporty feel than the Accord, the other two cars I was looking at. Plus, I bought it used, so it was cheaper than a comparable civic! (didn't know if you have narrowed your search to an Altima or were still considering other cars)

Good luck!

·
Banned
0 Posts
93, had 125K, now up to 145k miles.....I paid $2800 cash plus did a few things off the bat, so I have $3300 in the car itself.

I would go for the auto. Its a year newer too.....unless you wanna risk it and wait to see what else comes around

·
Rally U13
896 Posts
i am in the market for the same reason as you, and around the same price range. get a mechanic to check it out, test drive it, and buy it. i'm going for an auto because it's a pain to drive a stick in city driving.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hear a lot of peeps always saying they want a 5 speed, SE side skirts, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc. So I would say try to get a 5 speed SE model, you'll get all the good stuff. Peace

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
robmarch said:
Octane - 40 miles per gallon? You'll have to share that trick with the rest of the class!

He put taller tires in back so he is always going downhill....:D

·
430 Posts
:)

Actually, I get that going exactly the speed limit when going TO Houston from Austin. It's a gradual decrease in elevation. I get ~33 on the way back. ~38 between Houston and New Orleans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont think i want to risk not finding another alty thats a 5 spd so im just gonna get the auto. If i have the auto will it be worth doing the simple upgrades like i/h/e? or is any respectable speed out of reach?

·
stick shifter.
146 Posts
There's not that many 1st gen SE's for sale right now. I've never seen one for sale around here, just autos.

·
I don't care
3,191 Posts
raderOHS said:
I dont think i want to risk not finding another alty thats a 5 spd so im just gonna get the auto. If i have the auto will it be worth doing the simple upgrades like i/h/e? or is any respectable speed out of reach?
It's unlikely that you'll see 15s, but little mods can still be helpful.

·
:-)
1,239 Posts
I wouldn't get an auto, i love standard too much and its not worth it if you're gonna regret buying an auto. If u like auto then by all means buy it. But remember, turning an auto to standard = $$$ (lots of it too)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts