The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Long story short: I hit an empty 5 gallon bucket while doing 75 on the freeway a few weeks ago. It cracked the lower part of the bumper and broke the plastic "undercar shield" as well. Im going to need a new bumper and don't want to take it up with my insurance to get it fixed bc of my deductible. I am fairly handy so i thought I could just buy one and put it on myself.

So i have two questions:
1) Where would i find the most cost-effective bumper that comes painted to match, Partsgeek or Ebay? Has anyone had a good experience with buying a pre-painted bumper?

2) Assuming the paint matches on the bumper, whenever i go to inevitably trade this car in for another will it hurt the trade-in value as opposed to getting it professionally fixed? Or will they even be able to tell at the dealership?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello All,
Long story short: I hit an empty 5 gallon bucket while doing 75 on the freeway a few weeks ago. It cracked the lower part of the bumper and broke the plastic "undercar shield" as well. Im going to need a new bumper and don't want to take it up with my insurance to get it fixed bc of my deductible. I am fairly handy so i thought I could just buy one and put it on myself.

So i have two questions:
1) Where would i find the most cost-effective bumper that comes painted to match, Partsgeek or Ebay? Has anyone had a good experience with buying a pre-painted bumper?

2) Assuming the paint matches on the bumper, whenever i go to inevitably trade this car in for another will it hurt the trade-in value as opposed to getting it professionally fixed? Or will they even be able to tell at the dealership?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I got a paint to match one from eBay and it wasn't even close to a match. They refunded my money and I have to throw it away now so it wasn't anything but time that I lost. A new one from Nissan and painted at a local body shop ran $850+ and that was at the agreed rate with American Family. Paint to match was $310, my grill of eBay ran $70, and a license plate bracket was $16. So when all was said and done if I had the $500 at the time it would have been worth paying. After 6 month I had the money, tried the paint to match, got my money back, got it fixed, and now I'm selling the grill and license plate bracket.

Paint to match was from MBIAuto. They fumbled on the shipping a few times but almost always answered the phone when I called to find out what was taking so long. They had the most sales and highest rating. The color didn't match, the bumper didn't really fit right, and the grill was all cocked to one side.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
You can get the plastic bumper skin at RockAuto cheap unpainted...the undercar stuff will be dealer or online vendors like Tasca. Have a local shop do the painting so you instantly get it fixed if they screw up on the match. That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can get the plastic bumper skin at RockAuto cheap unpainted...the undercar stuff will be dealer or online vendors like Tasca. Have a local shop do the painting so you instantly get it fixed if they screw up on the match. That's what I'd do.
I looked at this route too; before you get the skin get a qoute on the paint job. Every quote I got was ~$450-600. Certifit only wanted $90 for the skin.

If your damage is in the middle of the bumper you might want to cut it out and see what the bumper looks like without that bottom grill section. It might be floppy but could look bad ass. Like the blacked out lower grills do.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FIT-...32244849531.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.2.08HVfi

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a paint to match one from eBay and it wasn't even close to a match. They refunded my money and I have to throw it away now so it wasn't anything but time that I lost. A new one from Nissan and painted at a local body shop ran $850+ and that was at the agreed rate with American Family. Paint to match was $310, my grill of eBay ran $70, and a license plate bracket was $16. So when all was said and done if I had the $500 at the time it would have been worth paying. After 6 month I had the money, tried the paint to match, got my money back, got it fixed, and now I'm selling the grill and license plate bracket.

Paint to match was from MBIAuto. They fumbled on the shipping a few times but almost always answered the phone when I called to find out what was taking so long. They had the most sales and highest rating. The color didn't match, the bumper didn't really fit right, and the grill was all cocked to one side.
Dang.. Well sounds like it'll be a tad more expensive than i thought it would be. I Knew $220 poor a painted bumper seemed too good to be true ha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Might have to go this route. looks like it'll be around $500.00 then. Dam

·
Registered
286 Posts
Oh, I just remembered that first I tried to find one off a car that was hit in the rear but only found black and brown ones. Try asking an auto recycler/junk yard to check to see if they can find one. And Ebay may have some from junk yards too.

What color do you need?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I looked on your profile and found a post where you said it was silver. There are lots of silver 2014 Altima bumpers on ebay for ~$170. I didn't click any to see if they came off a wrecked car though, and if so what condition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked on your profile and found a post where you said it was silver. There are lots of silver 2014 Altima bumpers on ebay for ~$170. I didn't click any to see if they came off a wrecked car though, and if so what condition.
All the ones i found on eBay are scuffed in some way, so my best option would try to find a junkyard around Dallas. Silver is a pretty popular color, so i might be able to find one in pretty decent shape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts