The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I guess this really goes out to the Jersey people here. Let's start. I've been looking for a new job for a while. I wanted to move back into the Tri-State area, really wanted to stay in NY, but I consdered the whole area. I recently was contacted about a job in Camden. At first, I thought Camden was out of my range, but now I'm wondering if it really is.

What I really needed to know is more about what some of my options would be if I did get this job. Good areas to live in, that would be easy to get to both NY and Camden. Anything else you can think of would be much appreciated.

I figure if this doesn't pan out, maybe one of the other companies down there would at some point.

thanks in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
17 Posts
well camden is by philly which is about an hour and a half...maybe a lil less from where i live and ny is an hour....to si anyway. i live in lakehurst...its about 20 min west of the shore (seaside)....really good area...barely any trouble. cops r a mess though.....DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT move into lakehurst. u'll be new and a perfect target for 5.0. trust me....try not to even pass through. but anyways anywhere around me would probably be ur best bet. u want to be close to the parkway and 295. parkway is real close but 295 is almost an hour but ur only on 295 for a few minutes before u get to philly/ camden area. i live on rt 70 wich takes u rite to both of them. check it out and give me a shout if u need some help w/ the area. (lakehurst, manchester, toms river)

·
I'm The Orange Member
2,085 Posts
camden is far as shiet from the city, and if u go to camden, theres no street lights and they will take your socks without taking your sneakers. its a really high crime area and mc gruff dont take bites there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i agree!! i had to go there for my job one time.....not a pretty site. easy as hell to get lost in too. i was the lost lil boy w/ my "hey look at me" wing on the back of my car...not cool. i was raised in the city but camden is something else.

·
Registered
80 Posts
if i were u i wouldnt take a job in camden. just like the people that said above it isnt the best place to be. i have driven through there a lot in the past and i try to avboid it whenever possible. It is probably about an hour an 15 minutes down the nj turnpike from nyc. there r a lot of nice neighborhoods around camden though if u wanted to move down here, such as haddonfield, cherry hill, and many other places as long as u dont mind driving a half- hour to commute to work. good luck with what ever u do if u have an questions about the area let me know. ill help u out the best i can

·
Domestic Attitude
232 Posts
Like BOTS and Shockwave said, Camden if far as hell from NY! Also Lakehurst does suck ass!! I live in Manchester and the cops around here are nothing but jerkoffs with pens waiting to write some tickets!! If you want to find somewhere in between, look for somewhere that is next to rt.70 and the parkway thius way you have easy acces to either place. But it will be at least an hour to either spot from there.

P.S. Bots since you live so close, do you happen to need anything from a 94 Altima?? I'm parting mine out and I just figured since your right down the street from me it would be an easy sale. Let me know!

-Rick

·
Registered
223 Posts
EBroz said:
Hey all, I guess this really goes out to the Jersey people here. Let's start. I've been looking for a new job for a while. I wanted to move back into the Tri-State area, really wanted to stay in NY, but I consdered the whole area. I recently was contacted about a job in Camden. At first, I thought Camden was out of my range, but now I'm wondering if it really is.

What I really needed to know is more about what some of my options would be if I did get this job. Good areas to live in, that would be easy to get to both NY and Camden. Anything else you can think of would be much appreciated.

I figure if this doesn't pan out, maybe one of the other companies down there would at some point.

thanks in advance.

Eric
If the job you get is in the city, then all you need to worry about is how to commute to NYC.

If that's the case, you could live towards the shore and commute by ferry to Manhattan OR live somewhat near the Amtrak/NJ Transit NE Corridor (i.e. North Brunswick, Princeton, Edison) line and/or North Jersey Coastline (i.e. Woodbridge, Matawan, Red Bank).

On top of that, if you need to commute to lower Manhattan, it's much easier taking the ferry, since the WTC station is out of commission for the time being.

Either way, living in Camden would make NYC a rough commute. Not to mention, its NOT a good area to live in (High crime, political corruption, growing poverty and corporate "evacuation")

Peace.

·
Shift_This
153 Posts
Again Camden to NYC is about an 1 1/2hr trip down the turnpike. Camden is not a good city crime wise at all, the only good thing is that it's 2minutes over the bridge from Philly. So you can still live in a big city and not have to deal with the astromically high crime rate/poverty. And if you don't want to live in Philly or Camden there are plenty of little townships arround the area that are nice and affordable, Cherry Hill, Washington Township, Deptford and quite a fw others.
What job offer did you get if you don't mind me asking, cause the only jobs I can think of would be either with Rutgers, Cooper Hospital, the Waterfront Association(Aquriam, Riversharks Baseball, Tweeter Center and USS NJ) and a few others.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone. Thanks. I've heard how "nice" Camden is supposed to be. I'm not really looking at living in Camden, but working there. I'm originally from NY and am looking for a job in the NYC area. So I would want to live north and commute south.

There is no job offer yet, but I've had some contact with a few companies in the area (Camden, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, and a few others). The only thing that I would be doing in Camden would be to drive to work and park in the lot, then leave at the end of the day. I'd imagine that the company would be a closed campus with security. The companies that I'm interested in are L-3 Communications, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, and I think Raytheon is has a location also.

As it is now, I have a 30 minute commute to work. I really don't have a problem with that. I would do up to an hour, but would rather stay at about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
In NJ, 30 minutes to the city would mean living relatively close to the city (i.e. Elizabeth, West Orange). My commute to NYC-Midtown is 1hr by train from North Brunswick (Jersey Avenue).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts