The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crash and burn, baby!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I priced a set of Kumho 711 tires (235/45-17) on HP Racing Evo rims (17x7) through WheelsNEXT. I personally think the 17" rims/tires look good on the Alty, and while it works for me I admit I'd prefer to go up to an 18" combo. I like the HP rims and I've heard lots of good about the tires but had some questions for the group:

1. What is the difference between the Kumho 711 and 712?

2. As I said, I prefer the 18" rim size but run into problems finding the width and sidewall height I want. All the 18" tires seem to run in a '40' sidewall height. I just think that's not going to give me the look I want and the ride will be harsher than I prefer. Anyone know of a good performance tire in a 235/45-18 size?

·
9:15
2,688 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the HP EVO's on my car 18x8 with 235/40's and the ride is fine, my mph is off a little but who cares it helps slow me down a little.

·
Crash and burn, baby!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jaystarzz said:
Tirerack offers several 235/45/18 tires. . they aren't cheap though :sad: You could also check these out on eBAY http://search.ebay.com/235-45-18_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZ235/45/18 .. you'll find some aight deals on eBAY from time to time. . sorry I can't help ya out with the Kuhmos, give [email protected] a call, maybe he can help ya out with those specifics .. peace, good luck
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the tires offered didn't exactly garner rave reviews. The Continental tires were probably the best offering but it appears they have some issues at the 10-15K mark, which is something I am concerned with. Doesn't appear that Tire Rack offers the Kumho tires.

·
Crash and burn, baby!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doh, oops, etc. Since I only searched for 235/45-18 nothing turned up so I just assumed...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Q-R-6 said:
I have the HP EVO's on my car 18x8 with 235/40's and the ride is fine, my mph is off a little but who cares it helps slow me down a little.
I have the hp evo's. 18x7.5 with 235/40/18 tires also. I do not reccomend this tire size. Its overall diameter is almost an inch shorter than the stock 205/65/16 (if you have the 2.5). I will be replacing my tires with 235/45/18 as soon as I need new ones, they are much closer to stock size. That should give me a little bit of ground clearance back and fill out the wheel wells a little more. My car is lowered with prokits and most people on here with the prokits don't have a problem with scraping, but I do. I figure the smaller tires must have something to do with it.

Unfortunately 235/45/18 is not nearly as common as 235/40/18 which you seem to have already discovered.

·
Crash and burn, baby!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Through all of my searching I've only been able to find these 4 tires in a 235/45-18 size:

Continental ContiSport Contact 2
Goodyear Eagle F1
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
Bridgestone Turanza ER33

Of those choices, which would be my best choice for a blend of good performance and good ride quality? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If you don't mind losing a little width you could go 225/45/18. They are a little smaller than stock but not as bad as a 235/40/18. There seem to be more choices in the 225/45/18 size. They are still wider than the stock 2.5 or 3.5 altima tires.

·
Crash and burn, baby!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess unless I get bad reviews on all the tires I listed I'm going to choose one of them. I'm leaning towards the Michelins, which Tire Rack has for $209 ea. That's a heck of a lot better than the prices I'm getting locally.

·
Honorary So Cal Member
16,046 Posts
chrisschnider said:
If you don't mind losing a little width you could go 225/45/18. They are a little smaller than stock but not as bad as a 234/40/18. There seem to be more choices in the 225/45/18 size. They are still wider than the stock 2.5 or 3.5 altima tires.
With 225's you are going to lose about an inch from stock height. That will disrupt your speedometer and put you lower to the ground also.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
dnvrfan said:
With 225's you are going to lose about an inch from stock height. That will disrupt your speedometer and put you lower to the ground also.
225/45/18 is .5 inch less in height and the speedometer would be off by 2%. Not that big of a deal compared to 235/40/18's where you lose 1.1 inches in height and 4% speedo error.

Your 245/40/18's are 3/4 inch smaller than stock.

this is based on both of these calculators:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

·
Crash and burn, baby!
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input guys. I'm really determined to set up with the 235/45-18. I have to give this some more thought. I'm set on the HP Racing Evo rims but still undecided on the tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts